Listen

"Riss! Are you listening to me or not?"

Val was looking up from his phone, having read to me what seemed to be the longest text ever written. "Did you hear what he texted me? I can't believe he would have the... the... nerve!"

Reuben was back in touch with Val. And all our conversations now had the hallmark of those teenage-bff interactions where one of you is trying to decode every word, emoji, time taken to respond, like, post, ghost...etc. of your crush and the other one is basically over it.

"Uh," I said. "Sorry – what did you say?"

"Riss! Wha- why are you staring over there? He's only just basically told me he came out to some of his friends but now he's 'not sure he meant it!' What the ...? I mean, the guy's a total mindfuck. Or... and this I have knew for a long time - a total player." (Val's English always deteriorated in proportion to his anger)

"Hmm," I agreed.

"Larissa! What is with you? I am having like bi-erasure moment. Like I mean I want to erase someone who says he is bi!"

He folded his arms and stared at me. I could swear he was actually pouting, but I might have imagined it.

I coughed and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I'm just... I'm just a bit confused by something in my own life, Val." I said.

He put his head on one side and narrowed his eyes at me. "You don't mean... a man?"

I shook my head. He rolled his eyes. "Girl! Don't get me all excited like that," he said.

"No... actually, it's this teen girl – this reader. I've got to know her online through Fanfix. But it's weird because..." I hesitated.  Val frowned.

"Umm... because she really seems to be getting attached to me. Like, dependent. Not sure if it's a good thing."

"Ooooh, a girl crush?" Val lilted, eyebrows rising and a smile playing over his lips.

"No... I don't mean like that... I .... I mean... I don't know. She just seems to be so invested in the story. Too invested in the story."

"Which story?"

"Room Service."

"Ah, well..." Val leaned over to his desk, picked up some papers and started to roll a cigarette. He'd gone back to the real thing since Reuben came on the scene. "....I mean... that story's so realistic, hun....no wonder she's into it...I mean" he deadpanned.

I bit my nail. Something about this Skyla girl didn't seem right.

Val looked up from his task.

"Think about it, Larissa. You were one of those fangirls once, remember. Remember how it broke your heart when you thought your otp wasn't together? Remember when Zee was your whole world?"

I thought back. Val was right. I should have more sympathy for my young readers. Loving a boyband could hurt like hell.