Search

"So...." Harry stopped and inhaled deeply.    I was praying the next word would be "basically".

"So... the reason I wanted to meet you .... apart from the fact that you're a great writer, of course – " he laughed, "is that you, Miss RatedRissa, fanfiction author extraordinaire.... have something I want."

I stared at him. He looked back, a small, knowing smile threatening to break out on his face and his eyes still dancing with the pleasure of a prank well conducted. I coughed and looked at my shoes. They were embarrassingly Primark and I suddenly wished I was someone else.

I looked back at him. God he was so beautiful, even with a face still slightly flushed from the cold and his hair all over the place. How could anyone refuse him anything? My eyes returned to my footwear. They searched the floor for a moment.

"I guess you mean the tape."

He raised his eyebrows and nodded.

"I'm sorry – I – I know I was supposed to delete it. I just couldn't. Please – you're not going to sue me or anything are you? Please say Simon Cowell's not behind this??" The words started to tumble out, " I honestly didn't share it with anyone else. Well, except my friend Val who's just besotted with Zee and honestly he'd never tell anyone... I just...."

He laid a hand on my arm, then raised it to hug me around the shoulder. I could barely breathe. "Babe." He said, "It's ok. You don't need to apologise. I'm not going to sue you. And Simon doesn't know about this." He looked me in the eyes. "This is about me." His lips pulled inwards, he picked up a sugar packet from the tabletop and tapped its edge on the distressed wood surface. "Me and – erm..." He coughed.

I could see his eyes shining, filling.  Mine responded.

"..and him?" I whispered.

A tear ran down Harry's cheek, too quick for his hand to brush away. My hands flew up to my face in concern.

"I don't have a copy of the tape," he said. "Si told me they were all deleted."

I felt the warmth rising to my cheeks. I shook my head. "That was my fault. I agreed to delete it. I was just being selfish, holding on to one for... myself. I just wanted to hold onto that proof of you two together. It was a secret I... I... kept."

He turned to me. "But thank God you didn't delete it. Because I want it. I want it... for....umm." He shifted in his seat. "For me." He was looking down now, his hands in his lap fiddling with the sugar packet which looked as though it was about to fall apart.

"Of course. A hundred times over. It belongs to you, Harry. I will gladly give it to you and delete all copies I know of. I just want you two to be happy. "

He looked at me with a resigned smile. More trails had streaked his face.

I frowned.

"Wait – are you? Are you in touch? Are you still together? I – I know it's not my business but it would mean so much to me... if you were..."

He looked down again. Another tear was forming in the corner of his eye.

"Oh my God..." I whispered.