six.

AFTER WHAT FELT like ages of waiting, Wednesday finally rolled around at a sluggish rate. Lindy had been agonizing over the upcoming night since Trae had informed her that she had to go. So far, Kurt Cobain had managed to consume almost all of her spring break. All she had done was think of him, imagining his singing voice and trying to picture him front and center on a stage. She wondered whether he would have an intimidating presence, or if he would remain just as shy as he'd been when she had first laid eyes on him. 

"Linds, lets go," Trae called from outside her door. He rapped on it twice, an unspoken warning signal for 'let's get going before Dad starts asking questions.'

Lindy stood in front of her shabby full-length mirror, her arms glued at her sides as she proceeded to panic. She had planned on looking nice, figuring that despite it only being a house party, she had someone there to impress. The weight of this fact had left a burden on her shoulders and a sinking feeling in her stomach. 

All she had managed to dig out of her closet was a pair of blue jeans that were too big in the ankle, a plain, long-sleeved black v-neck, and her beat up Converse that she had considered replacing all those days ago. She shifted her weight as she stood, observing the effect in the mirror.

It felt like years had passed since Lindy had met Kurt. Years of waiting to see him again, in the flesh.

"Coming!" she yelled, abandoning her one purse that she owned when she decided it would be too weird to carry around. She threw open her door and flew down the stairs, running right into an impatiently waiting Trae.

"C'mon," Trae murmured, pushing his sister gently forward. Lee was sitting on the couch, his feet propped up as he watched the Mariners game playing out on the television screen. They had almost managed to creep behind him until his sharp ears caught the creak of the wooden floor.

"Where do you two think you're going?" he demanded gruffly, turning around in his seat. Lindy winced and tried not to curse under her breath. 

"I'm taking Lindy to her friend's house to watch a movie," Trae lied smoothly. "The friend has a brother. We'll probably watch the game upstairs."

There was no way in hell that Trae could confess to Lee that they were going to a house party. He would chain them to the front door before he allowed them to do such a thing. Lindy noticed that Trae had thrown in that he would be watching the game -- Trae hated baseball, but it would please Lee to see his son paying attention to sports for once. 

"It's a school night," Lee thundered. "Lindsey isn't leaving this house."

"It's spring break, Dad," Lindy reminded him crisply. This seemed to soothe Lee, as he settled back into his indented seat on the couch. 

"Oh. Well. You kids better be back here by midnight or I swear, you two are going to get it. No breaking curfew."

Lindy balked at this, knowing the show would go far past midnight. Trae did not seem bothered.

"Okay, Dad. We'll see you in a bit," he said politely, steering Lindy towards the front door before Lee could get in another word.

"Trae, we won't be back by midnight," Lindy reminded her brother as he shuffled her towards the car, opening the passenger side door for her.

"You let me handle Dad, Lindy. It's going to be fine," he assured her firmly. As always, she believed him. He was her brother and he would protect her. She had always known that.