twelve.

"GROUNDED? BUT WHY?" Kurt whined into the phone, sounding utterly distraught that Lindy was on house arrest for God only knew how long.

"I told you, I'm failing AP Lit," she whisper-sighed into the home phone. She had snuck downstairs in the middle of the night while Lee was sleeping to call Kurt and alert him of her fate. The fight that she and Lee had gotten into had not been pretty, and he'd rewarded her bad grade with a grounding that cut her off from any human contact.

"AP Lit? What even is that," Kurt said sourly. He paused, then sighed. "I know I should just take this as a sign that I need to get my shit together and practice more with the band, but it's hard to enjoy myself knowing you're locked away."

"Don't worry about me. I'll figure a way out of this," Lindy said, though she couldn't help but feel entirely hopeless. Lee was not one to be bargained with. He had promised his daughter that she would not see the light of day, except to go to school, for awhile.

"Hey, you live on Fern Street, right?" Kurt asked abruptly, switching the subject. 

Lindy scrunched her eyebrows together, twisting the cord of the telephone around her finger until it turned purple.

"Yeah, I do. Why?"

Kurt had only been to Lindy's house once to drop her off from an outing together. Most of the time, she took it upon herself to make her way to him instead of the other way around. They couldn't risk a run-in with Lee, who would probably chase Kurt down the driveway with a pistol if he knew he was courting his daughter without his consent.

"No reason," Kurt said quickly. "But get some rest. We can call again, same time tomorrow night."

"Okay," Lindy agreed sadly. "Goodnight Kurt."

"Goodnight, Lindy," he replied, before hanging up the phone.

Lindy, totally defeated by her predicament, quietly crept up the stairs and back into her room, shutting her door gingerly. She pulled back the sheets to her bed and laid down, attempting to get comfortable but giving up against her clouded mind. 

Her attachment to Kurt was only getting stronger. That was a fact. She enjoyed it very much so, but felt unprepared to deal with such an immense feeling. She'd never had a boyfriend in her life and had never known the love of a significant other, yet Kurt was willing to devote himself entirely to her. She was nobody to him, no one of importance, yet he had chosen her completely. 

And that was even if he were to love her one day. One day . . .

A drowsy fog had begun to settle itself over Lindy, drawing her closer to unconsciousness until she heard the crack of something small against her window.

Her eyes opened.

Another crack. This time a little louder, as if whatever had struck the window was bigger than the last object.

And then another. Concerned, and a little scared, Lindy sat up and threw her covers off of her. She ran to the window, pushing it open and sticking her head out. The gasp that left her mouth was almost loud enough to wake her dad.

"Surprise," Kurt called softly from down below. He had a handful of tiny rocks in his hand and he was waving goofily up to Lindy as if it were a bright Sunday morning instead of the dead of night on a weekday.

"What are you doing?" she hissed. "My dad is going to kill you if he sees you!"

"I wouldn't ordinarily do this, but for you, I don't mind. And like I told you before, sleeping on a friend's couch doesn't give me a shit's worth of shut-eye."