ninety-two.

"COME GET ME."

These were the words Kurt pleaded into the phone, once more begging Lindy to come pick him up from his house as if he were in jail rather than inside a warm, welcoming mansion. 

It was the evening time and Lindy had just arrived back home from work. She was still in her scrubs and had her hair in a sloppy bun, pieces falling about her face in a brown halo. Kurt's call had caught her off guard, as she was still under the impression that he was hiding from her.

"Why?" she asked, the word tasting unfamiliar as it reverberated around her mouth. Never before had she questioned Kurt's need to be with her. She had always given him the answer that he wanted, straightaway without hesitation. That answer was always yes with him.

"I don't want to be here. They ganged up on me. I want to get away. Please come, Lindy. Please."

Lindy recalled what Krist had told her only days earlier. There had been a plan formulated to intervene with Kurt and discuss the problem and by the sound of it, it had not gone accordingly.

"You want me to come now?" Lindy clarified, looking down at her spotless white nursing shoes.

"Now, yes. Please," Kurt begged. There was a buzz of background voices, but none sounded geared for a vicious verbal attack on Kurt. In fact, no one at all seemed to be acknowledging that Kurt was on the phone, devising an escape plan right in front of them. 

"Okay," Lindy said dully. She hung up and grabbed her keys. No longer did she feel weakened by fear, stopping her from going near the Lake Washington house. She was still scared, scared shitless even, of what awful black hole Kurt had been sucked into, but she refused to let it beat her down.

Her strength would be used in two ways, she had decided; one, to ensure the health of her baby. And two, to keep Kurt upright as the rest of his world fell apart.

She didn't panic over the possibility of Courtney spotting her as she rolled up to their home, turning down the radio to a quiet lull. If Courtney was prepared to have words with her, Lindy would have gladly welcomed the chance to burn off steam. Screaming at a stranger might have felt good, therapeutic even.

As expected, Kurt exited the front of the house with a defiant slam of the front door. He walked fast down the driveway, not looking back, breaking into a slight jog away from whoever was inside. There was a line of cars parked out front. All of them must have belonged to those invited to the intervention.

Lindy didn't feel any remorse over having not been a primary player in this intervening. She already understood Kurt in a way that no one else ever would. Her intervention with him would come, and it would be unlike theirs in many ways. It wouldn't consist of ultimatums and words used as weapons. All she could offer was a pledge to love him forever, as long as he stayed.

Kurt opened the passenger side door and when he did, his flannel sleeve yanked itself up over his arm. Lindy was horrified to see a line of harsh scabs flourishing across his skin, a side effect of his heroin usage. She covered her mouth and looked away, biting hard on the skin behind her lips. 

"Let's go," Kurt said automatically, buckling his seat belt into place. Her eyes flickered to him. How funny it was, watching him safely click the buckle into place, a necessary tool in preventing his death in an automobile accident. He wouldn't take the risk of death inside of her car, but he had no problem jeopardizing his life with a needle. It was classic, contradictory Kurt, his motives confusing to everyone except himself. 

"Where are we going? Back to my apartment?" Lindy asked simply, keeping her voice level and her gaze on the road as she pulled away from the house.