eighty-nine.

SOMEHOW, IT WAS not hard for Lindy to find the Lake Washington home where Kurt and Courtney resided.

It was located in Denny-Blaine, a neighborhood that most everyone in Seattle was familiar with if they knew the city well enough. Houses in the area were distinguishable for being old and luxurious, inhabited by societal figures that bathed in wealth passed down for generations in their families. Lindy had even heard that the CEO of Starbucks lived there.

It was kind of funny, imagining two leading stars of the rock n' roll world living next door to some stuffy politician, but that was just Kurt's way. He would happily move in anywhere if it meant potentially pissing off some old, power-hungry white guys.

Lindy was still in her pajamas, dripping wet from running to her car in the rain and therefore trembling as a result. Her car loped up the long driveway leading to Kurt's house, burrowed in a thicket of greenery that now swayed with the storm's winds.

If she had not been so distressed over Kurt's mental state, Lindy would have probably turned back the second she pulled towards the towering mansion of a home. There were lights on inside, spilling out into the darkness but blurred by the falling rain.

The place had always been a mystery to Lindy. She had tried many times to imagine where Kurt dwelled when he wasn't around her, but nothing she had creatively came up with compared to the beauty of the house. It was more 'Kurt-ish' than she had expected.

The outside was datedly lovely, even quaint in a way. Nothing suggested that the house belonged to a couple of rockstars except perhaps its sheer size.

But the house's appearance meant nothing to her as she sat in her car, staring wide-eyed at it. What was more important was what was going on inside and who was inside.

Courtney was in there. And so was Frances.

Lindy was risking everything by being there. It was like Seattle had been divided straight down the middle in a rigid, horizontal line. One half represented Courtney's side, the other Lindy's. The only person who bounced back and forth easily between sides had been Kurt. Now Lindy was crossing the threshold, driving straight into forbidden territory that she did not belong in.

She was messing up the game of hot potato that she and Courtney had created, unbeknownst to only one of them. Instead of waiting her turn for the burning item to land in her hands, Lindy had gone purposefully seeking it out. She was taking what was not hers. 

Call the police if you're that scared for him, Lindy's mind suggested smartly, aware of just how frightened she was to be on the property.

No.

Lindy couldn't do that to Kurt. His life had already been dragged too deep in the public mud-hole that they were surrounded by. There was no need to involve anyone else.

Not unless it was really, really bad.

Then Lindy would have to let the world know about Kurt Cobain's demons.

Suddenly, the front door to the house was flung open, releasing a pool of yellow light into the rainy darkness. Lindy jumped in her seat, clutching her steering wheel harder.

She saw Kurt stumble outside through the door, standing briefly in the light before moving off to the side, away so that he could not be seen. He was followed by a female, a tall blonde who wore only an old-fashioned white slip. Lindy could feel her heart pick up in speed.

She faintly heard their conversation even over the downpour — this must have had to do with Courtney's screaming, all of which was directed right at an escaping Kurt.

"WHERE are you GOING?" she yelled, hesitating to step into the rain as her husband had. She must have been cold, standing there with her arms and legs unprotected from the low temperature and precipitation.

It was so strange to see her in the flesh. This very woman had sent Lindy's thoughts into a constant tailspin for over a year, but it was only then that she finally caught her first glimpse of Courtney Love.

Lindy's eyes adjusted to the dark and she spotted Kurt, now a few decent feet away from the house. He stopped trekking down the driveway to face Courtney, shouting back something Lindy couldn't make out. He waved his hand once and she cringed when she concluded that it might have been him signaling a rude hand gesture.

She slid lower in her seat, grateful for the mass of bushes and trees that hid her car out of plain view. She had been ingenious enough to shut off her headlights as well, giving no apparent sign that she was Kurt's ride for the night.

Courtney stayed on the doorstep even after Kurt broke into a jog, the rain soaking right through his clothes. He reached Lindy's car quickly and got in, spattering rainwater onto the dashboard.

"Go," he said immediately, slamming the door shut and staring dead ahead as if expecting Courtney to sprout wings and fangs and descend upon them like a mythical monster.

Lindy obeyed without question, throwing her car into reverse and backing down the driveway with rapid glances over her shoulder.

As far as she could tell, the sooner that they both got away from the house, the better.

[ oh god, i really don't want demonize courtney bc i don't actually have a problem with her but she does piss me off sometimes yet at the same time i hate assigning blame to someone who isn't necessarily guilty?? anyways ignore me lol ]