thirty-two.

OCTOBER, 1988, OLYMPIA, WA

                  OCTOBER, WITHOUT MEANING to be, abruptly became the biggest turning point in Kurt's career. Maybe not literally, but for Lindy, it became apparent that Nirvana was no longer going to be his part-time gig. It had rather become his destiny, she thought, for lack of a better word. 

The 'Love Buzz' single was set to come out within days, something that Kurt had been anxiously awaiting with hopes it would lead to he and the band recording a full album. Lindy had desperately wanted to be his motivational rock during this time, but she was swamped with schoolwork, spending every night in their apartment with her nose in a textbook.

But then good news had struck. In early October, as Lindy had sat in their living room studying for an upcoming exam, Kurt had walked back and forth between the kitchen and couch on the phone with Sub Pop. The kitchen phone, attached to the wall, had its cord stretched in every which way due to Kurt's pacing. He was using what Lindy had liked to call his 'smooth-talking' voice, coaxing the Sub Pop owners into opening more doors for Nirvana.

"You're kidding," he had deadpanned at one point, looking starstruck. Lindy had looked up from her textbook and mouthed, 'what is it?"

Kurt waved his hand, indicating that he would let her know momentarily. Once off the phone after an eager round of 'thank you's' and 'sounds great's,' he had slammed the phone back in place and returned to Lindy looking flabbergasted.

"They got us a gig opening up for Butthole Surfers," he said, unable to properly believe the news himself.

It was at that point that Lindy had taken a break from studying to celebrate with him, squealing and hugging him as they both relished in the good news that was seeming to pour in. Every day was becoming brighter for Nirvana, and Kurt knew this as he grinned in Lindy's embrace.

The show itself was to be their biggest performance yet. Lindy had ensured that she would be there, telling her professors that if she did not show up for class the next day, she'd be willing to take the penalty. The night of Kurt had remained placid, neither nervous nor excited. He'd simply eaten his dinner, driven to the venue and set up with Krist and Chad without saying much to anyone at all. 

Lindy had been backstage with him, trying to coax a conversation out of him. 

"Are you ready?" she'd asked, feeling rapid pangs of jitters even though she was not the one performing.

"Yeah, I think so," Kurt had replied evenly. He gave no indication that he really meant otherwise.

Their performance was okay -- perhaps not their best, but it was still worth watching. Lindy at least thought so, as she had stood in the wings. 

She had been worried that Kurt would leave angry at himself for not putting on a stellar show, but after the night had ended and they had all crammed into their van to go home, Kurt was smiling like he knew of a secret that no one else did.

"Are you alright?" Lindy asked, helping Krist shove the last piece of equipment into the back of the van. Kurt had been perched next to her, looking off into the distance with that same, proud smile.

"My band opened for the Butthole Surfers," he simply said, turning to smile at Lindy before walking around the van, a prideful jaunt in his step.