fifty-five.

LINDY AWOKE THE next morning with her face on Kurt's bare chest, her arm slung over him and her body nestled close against the space next to his. 

Her eyes slowly parted when she felt her face rising and falling with the gentle movement of Kurt's breathing, each exhale and inhale slow and peaceful.

At first, she remembered nothing but wonderful, other-worldly pleasure. She recalled moments from the night before where Kurt had held her tighter, kissed her more deeply and sighed with happiness when she moved against him in ways that had led to indescribable feeling.

It had been better than she dreamed it would be. Their physical reunion had been something that she had never thought would happen. But it had happened, and it had been perfect.

But then she remembered everything else and suddenly, she and Kurt were not alone in their loving togetherness, at least not in her mind.

Lindy shot up, the covers pooling around her waist as she took a shaky breath. She rubbed her eyes furiously and looked back at Kurt, who was still fast asleep.

They had done something bad. Very bad.

Kurt had cheated on Courtney.

Lindy had cheated on Jack.

She forced the cry in her throat back down. Never, never would she have deliberately set out to hurt another person. But she'd done it. She'd stabbed Jack in the back and she'd done it without even a second thought.

Making love with Kurt for the first time in two years had been the easiest decision that she'd ever made.

Jack had not even flitted into her mind when she'd been underneath Kurt, her fingers digging into his back with satisfaction, her eyes wrenched closed as she'd called out Kurt's name over and over. 

And then there was Courtney. No matter what had happened between her and Kurt, they were still husband and wife. Kurt had still gone behind her back and slept with another woman.

As she sat in her bed trembling with terrible thoughts of guilt, Lindy could not find a proper excuse as to why they had committed such an act of betrayal.

Kurt slowly began to wake up, yawning and reaching out in search of Lindy. When his hand touched her bare back, he smiled, leaning up and kissing the warm skin of her shoulders. She shivered, but not out of pleasure.

"Good morning," Kurt murmured. He rested his chin on her shoulder and Lindy felt his hair tickle her cheek.

"Kurt," she whispered. "What the fuck did we do?"

Kurt, taken aback by this response from her, moved away so that he could take a moment to re-evaluate her.

"What do you mean? We . . . well, we . . ."

"Had sex," Lindy finished. "We cheated on our significant others."

Kurt sighed, then lowered his head into his hands. He raked his fingers backwards through his hair as he too began to understand the consequences of what they had done.

"Fuck," he cursed harshly, knocking his fist into one of her pillows. 

"I know," Lindy whispered. "I know. It's bad."

"It's not bad," Kurt said quickly. "I don't regret what happened, Lindy."

"But look at us! We fucked up!" Lindy cried, leaping to her feet without even paying mind to the fact that she was completely naked. This became much of a distraction to Kurt, whose eyes fully roved over her body before settling back on her face.