e i g h t ⇢ let's make a fort

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

mackenzie ziegler

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"so, how long ago did you dad die, mackenzie?" she looks up from cooking the pancakes that sizzle on the pan. "you don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable, i know how it feels." she smiles lightly, not pressuring me to answer the question, but i get this question a lot, so it's normal.

"he passed when i was about 10," i nod my head, sitting at the barstool next to johnny. "he died of a stroke." i frown but pulling the smile back up knowing he's in a better place now. "i think it hit me more than my sister, maddie, she was more of mum's favourite, unlike me." i swing on the chair.

"i'm happy that i meet johnny, because he understands the feeling of someone missing in your family." i look at meredith, then turn to johnny who's already looking at me.

"do you have any other friends, besides johnny?" she flips a pancake, landing it perfectly on the pan again.

"yeah, my best friend, nadia," i smile. "i've known her since preschool and we've stuck by each other's side since."

"well, here are a couple of pancakes for you both," she places a plate of pancakes down onto their marble bench top. she also lays out syrups and berries in front of us to decorate our pancakes with.

both, johnny and i mumble 'thanks' to meredith, before digging in to our delicious pancakes. "okay, well i have to race down to the supermarket, i won't be to long!" she grabs her keys and purse from the kitchen counter before leaving their house.

"your mum's a good cook." i smile at him, while i cut up a slice for me to eat. he agrees quietly, eating his pancakes slowly. "are you okay?" i notice how his expressions on his face are a little sad.

"you and my mum get along so well," he looks up to me, placing his knife and fork down onto his plate. "it reminds me of the relationship between lauren and mum." he looks down.

"i can leave if you would like," i some-what point to the door, getting off the stool that i'm sitting on. 

"no, it's fine kenz," he looks up at me, his stunning green eyes look straight into my boring, brown ones. butterflies erupt in my stomach as no one has ever called me by the nickname, 'kenz'.  "should we go out today?" he changes the subject.

"where were you thinking, orlando?" i get off my chair, grabbing my dirty plate and placing into the rather large sink that sits at the edge of the island counter. a thought pops into my brain as i still have yet to tell my mum that i'm out. "shoot, i should probably tell my mum i'm here," 

johnny's cackle fills my ears as i sprint up the stairs, grabbing my phone off johnny's desk to see many missed calls and texts from my mum. i quickly dial our home landline, after 2 rings my mum's voice echoes through the line.

"hey, mum, i'm at my friends. i'm sorry i forgot to tell you, i left quite late." i talk very fastly through the phone, hoping not to get an angry response.

"that's fine, next time remember to tell me straight away!" i agree and hang up the phone. i place the cellular device back down onto the desk. a bright idea pops up into my head on what johnny and i could to today. "johnny!" i shout from upstairs, hoping it was loud enough for him to hear downstairs.

"what!"

"get yo ass up here!" and before i know it i hear footsteps running up the stairs and then i'm meet with johnny's face. "let's make a fort." i giggle as he rolls his eyes.

-

"john, i really need to go, my mum needs me home." his grip under my arms becomes stronger and his whining becomes louder and more annoying.

"kenzie! please stay!" he continues to whine, while i try get myself out of his tight grip.

"johnny, i've been here for 15 hours i need to leave and help my mum," his grip loosens, setting me free. "finally, i can breathe." i flop onto the bed, inhaling air. "i will see you at school tomorrow." i point at him with my index finger.

"fine," he rolls his eyes. "wait! one more thing." i place my hands on my hips waiting for him to speak. "a hug?" he pouts and gives me puppy eyes. i roll my eyes, walking over to him with my arms out. 

we release from our hug. "okay! see you tomorrow!" i blow him a kiss before exiting his room.

"bye kenz!"

"bye, orlando! thanks for the good day!"

-

ugh this chapter is so boring i'm so sorry

45 votes and 16 comments for the next chapter xx