Palm Highschool

Leo

I quickly shut my locker. I groan as I think of the long day of school I have ahead. Homework, homework, and more homework. Thank the Gods it's almost Friday. I know things could be worse, I have Calypso which is amazing, but I hate school. I know I'm smaller than most of the kids, but I have gotten a lot stronger. Acting like I'm a mortal who is terrified of the Gods is hard, especially when I have met them and they are nothing like our Greek and Roman teacher claims. Zeus is kind and considerate, please, when Khione is warm and caring.

I walk down the halls as Brett Park turns the corner.

Let me rewind. Brett is 'popular' and claims to be a son of Zeus. He, for some reason, hates me. It's not like I filled his football helmet with shaving cream or anything. Maybe. Both Brett and his friends take any opportunity to 'claim their revenge'.

"Hey Leoser." He grins and all his friends laugh in the background. You think he could come up with a better insult, but no.

"What do you want Brett?" I ask him while mentally rolling my eyes. Come on Leo, keep your cover, cover, cover. You are not allowed to reveal yourself, yet. As much as I wish I could light myself on fire and scare the crap out of him, I can't.

"Let's just say you'll be seeing me after school, mortal."

I rolled my eyes. "We all know your no child of Zeus."

He froze. "I'm the favored child of Zeus. You wish you were as cool and powerful as me!"

I chuckled and slowly turned around. Before I could start walking though I felt an arm wrap around my neck. A voice hissed in my ear.

"Watch your back Valdez, you don't want me as your enemy."

I mentally rolled my eyes. I had faced so much worse than Brett Park. On the outside I just nodded. Cover right?

The bell suddenly rang. I bolted down the hall. Brett was laughing in the background thinking I was runnning away from him. Wrong. I was running toward my Sunshine. Calypso always met me for lunch under a large elm tree outside.

Calypso and I were in charge of the lower SouthEast corner of the United States. We go to Palm Acadamy. School started a week ago and we are planning to scope out some of the magical readings near the school before heading farther away. Thank you Lou and Kyle for the scanners. Who new magic and mechanics could be used in such a way! We had four places to visit that radiated magic in the SouthWest. Hopeful Hecate would be at one of them and Calypso and I could leave.

I made my way into the cafeteria and spotted Calypso at our usual spot through the window. I grabbed my lunch quickly and made my way out to her.

"Hey, Sunshine!" I gave her a lopsided grin while sliding in next to her.

She looked up from a small map.

"Hey Repair Boy."

I pouted. "My names the Supersized Mcshizzle."

She laughed. It sounded like bells. "Well Mr. Mcshizzle, we have two places that have magic. We have this weekend to search. Want to take Festus to the one near Orlando tonight and the other in New Orleans on Friday? Then we can get them all done before the week is over.

"Sounds perfect. I gave him a tuneup last night. A whole new chip to replace his faulty wiring."

"Does this mean no more oil spills and fire hiccups?" Her voice gained a whistful tune. Festus had a case of hiccups while we where flying over the Carolinas and it wasn't an experience I would recommend for anyone who dislikes freefalling hundreds of feet in the air.

"Thankfully no, though I have to say I look good in oil."

Calypso just rolled her eyes. "Is that so."

"Yes it is Mi' Lady. Although, I do pull off a head full of fire just as well." I struck a pose that, let's be honest, would have made Miguel Jackson jealous.

We continued talking about the quest until I noticed a certain guy walking up behind Calypso.

"Hey there, how you doing Cal?" Brett said.

"Fine. Leo and I were just talking about our after school and weekend plans." Calypso told him. I could tell she was uncomfortable, but she held her ground.

"Why would you want to spend the weekend with Leoser over here, when you could spend it with me?"

Brett obviously didn't know when to back off. I thought the shaving cream would get the message trough, but no game.

"Why wouldn't I? Leo is a great boyfriend and we have been through a lot together." Calypso looked over at me while speaking and tilted her head at Brett, rolling her eyes.

"Sunshine and I are perfectly happy together so leave." I have Brett an evil glare.

He just laughed. "Calypso, you know I'm a child of Zeus right? The favored child. I'm just like him, strong and powerful. He said so himself."

Calypso looked like she was trying not to break down in a pile of giggles. "You are nothing like my cous-." She stoped suddenly.

I look at her with wide eyes. I mouthed "cover."

She looked at me and gave me a small nod.

"My cousins favorite god." She said it slowly, but Brett didn't seem to notice.

"I am a child of Zeus! He came to me when I was twelve and told me!"

"Look just leave us alone, ok?" Calypso grabbed my hand and led me back into the building.

"That was close. Nice save though." That could have been bad.

"That was too close though, I could have revealed us." She looked so sad, I knew I had to help her.

"You did fine. Zeus is your cousin?" That piece of information had shocked me.

"I'm a daughter of Atlas, his brother is Kronos, Zeus's father. The one from a few years ago. That would make us distant cousins."

I just looked ahead. The whole god, family thing was really confusing. Then again I was dating a Titan, technically I think I was her great nephew of something. I could be wrong.

"See you after school. Meet me out back with Festus. I can't wait to get going."

"Sure thing Sunshine, can't wait to feel the clouds." We parted ways and as I turned a corner I ran strait into Brett. He looked like the Cheshire Cat. A sick grin was forming, but he just walked around me.

I spared one last glance at Brett before hurrying to my next class.