Sahara High

Nico

In one world, highschool is repulsive. The students at Sahara High were the stupidest people I had ever met. They tended to gossip and daydream more than actually study. Granted I was only here to find Hecate and I didn't pay much attention either.

Will pulled into the parking lot and we both got out. Will, being the son of Apollo, blasted Top 80s Movies the entire drive. I think he does it because he knows I secretly like it.

"...walking on sunshine." He finished the song and looked at me with a grin while getting out of the car.

I rolled my eyes, but smiled lightly.

"You should smile more. It looks nice on you."

"I smile enough."

"If you say so."

"Very funny Nico, let's get inside. You always act like a vampire when in the sun."

"Who says I'm not?"

Will just rolled his eyes and we walked into school. Dodging in and out of students we made our way to our lockers. Thankfully they were next to each other. I emptied my backpack into the disorganized locker before pulling out my Greek and Roman binder. I turned to talk to Will while looking in his locker. It was neat and clean. The opposite of mine.

"Greek and Roman test today. Joy."

"Brighten up Death Breath. We're getting to hang out all afternoon. It could be worse."

"True Sunny-D. I still don't want to take a test on our family."

He nodded and we walked into class. I took my seat at the back and Will sat in front of me.

The bell rang just as Mrs. Marshe walked in.

"Hello class. Remember we have our unit test on the twelve olympians. I will be passing out the test shortly. Any cheating will result in an immediate zero."

She began passing out the tests and I grabbed mine. Without pause I began writing.

1. Who are the twelve Olympian gods?
Zeus, Poseidon, Hephaestus, Hera, Demeter, Apollo, Hermes, Athena, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Dionysus

2. Who is your favorite god/goddess and why?
Hades. Death is equal and fair.

3. Name two gods/goddesses (non siblings) and both their parents?
Aphrodite, born from sea foam and the blood of Ouranus. Hades, his father was Kronos and his mother was Rhea.

4. What fruit Persephone are that trapped her in the underworld?
Pomegranate

5. Who is the virgin goddess?
Artemis, Athena, and Hestia

6. What is Apollo the god of?
The sun, music, poetry, intelligence, archery, prophecy, and masculine beauty

7. What is Hades the god of?
The underworld, riches

8. Who is Ares?
The god of war

9. What goddess gave up her olympian throne for Dionysus?
Hestia

10. What is Dionysus sacred animal?
Leopard, tiger, bull, serpent

11. What are children of gods and mortals called?
Demigods

12. Who is Demeter?
The goddess of the harvest and agriculture

Extra credit: Describe one minor god or goddess.
Thanatos is the god of death. He works for Hades and is the god who collects mortal souls and brings them to the underworld.

I finished the test and turned it in the basket. I went by Will and he looked up. I offfed him a small smile and sat down with my head in my arms.

When class ended Will and I separated and went to our own classes.

English and Science were boring as ever and Gym class was tourture. Who wants to run laps in eighth degree weather?

I was sticky with sweat when the bell rang for lunch. As I entered the cafeteria just as Logan Dane did. I quickly grabbed my lunch and snaked my way to the lunch table I usually sat at with a Will, keeping my head down. Unfortunately I didn't make it.

Just as I set my lunch down a hand grabbed me from behind.

"Hey Nico. Where's you boyfriend?" People at Sahara High didn't accept people who were different. Gay people included.

I kept my eyes down and tried not to appear mad. I hated Logan the schools popular kid. He claimed to be a son of Apollo to gain popularity. Not only did that anger me, he also took every opportunity to bully me.

"Leave me alone Logan. I have done nothing to you."

"Sure you have. You relationship with Will isn't normal. You could follow my fellow demigods and my example and stick to people of the opposite gender."

I looked up at him. "You know Apollo is bisexual right? The guy you falsely claim is your dad."

"Apollo is not bi and he is my dad. He's the god of the sun and, like, everything. He is the most powerful of the olympians."

I just rolled my eyes and that infuriated Logan more.

Logan gave me a 'hard' punch to the gut. It wasn't powerful, but I had a large bruise from a monster attack two nights ago. I grit my teeth and pushed down my feelings. I couldn't expose us by accidentally raising the dead.

Logan stooped to my hunched figure.

"Don't mess with me di Angelo."

He walked away laughing with his buddies.

I sat down and tried to calm myself. Will would flip if he knew what Logan did to me.

I waited for Will to appear and he finally did making his way though the every crowded lunch room to the back where I sat.

"Hey Neeks." That earned a small glare from me, but he just grinned more. "Ready to scope out the magic area tonight?"

I wasn't, but I new we had to eventually the sooner we found Hecate, the sooner I could go home. At least I hope so.

"I guess. Meet me out back for shadow travel?"

Wills face darkened, but he knew shadow travel was the fastest and only way to reach our destination on time.

"All right, but you don't over exert yourself and you rest between jumps, doctors order!"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it."

We talked for the rest of lunch before heading to our next class. Four more hours until another potentially life threatening situation. Joy.