The Plains Part 2

Will

We studied the stone. I eventually made eye contact with Nico. "Any idea?"

"None. Should we touch it? Like, is it a trap?" He looked down at the rock and I followed his example. I reached out and slowly brought my arms around it and lifted. It was surprisingly light.

"We should take this back and IM Annabeth." I turned with the rock in my arms and started walking down the hill. Unfortunately, as soon as I started walking the earth started to shake. I dropped the rock and tried to keep my balance. The earth seemed to shiver. Pebbles rolled past me and cracks appeared in the dry dirt.

"I'm thinking we shouldn't have touched it!" Nicos face had gone paler than usual and he had drawn his sword. The earth behind him started to crack and break.

"Nico the ground!"

He did his best to turn around but ended up on the ground. "It's not me!"

Out of the holes spines started to grow. Afterward a large boulder appeared. The ground stilled and the air was silent. Slowly we made our way toward the boulder. Our footsteps crunching on the dry grass and pebbles. Suddenly, two glowing orbs appeared in the mass of spikes and dirt. The boulder swelled and rubble fell out in waves. Gaps appeared showing rows of gleaming teeth.

"Nico, RUN!" We turned and bolted down the hill the large beast bounding after us. The earth shook whenever his paws landed on the ground. His large tongue lolling around in his mouth. Saliva flew everywhere, burning the ground where it touched.

"What is that thing!" My voice was dry with terror and heat.

"I don't know what it is! We just need to figure out how to beat it!"

"Get it to chase you. Try to find a weakness."

"Your kidding me? This thing doesn't have a weakness. It's twice the size of a hellhound!"

"Nico! Just do it." He gave me an exasperated look before he turned and started running in the opposite direction and, thankfully, the monster followed him. I slowed down and turned to the battle. Nico was having trouble staying ahead of it. It's massive legs covered yards, while Nico could only cover feet. I took in the body structure of the dog. At least, it appeared to be related to canines. "Nico aim for the Achilles' tendon or the pressure point between the dogs ribcage, near the sternum!"

"Speak english, Will! The what?"

"The big tendon behind its paw. It will cripple it!"

Nico gave me a look before rolling to a stop. The dog barreled past and Nico slashed at the leg. The 'dog' yelped and lifted it's one paw. It turned it eyes on Nico and you could tell it was mad, one paw twisted and useless . It lopped forward after Nico who was still on the ground.

"Nico move!" Nico started to stand, but not before the dog bit down on his arm. Steam poured from the wound and Nico screamed in pain. I ran forward and drew me blade. It was short, but I was never one for swords. I plunged the small dagger into the esophagus on the 'dog's' neck, effectively cutting off the air supply. It released Nico as it backed away from us, gasping for air. Blood leaked out around the blade matting the hair with blood. The 'dog' leaned over and closed his eyes before exploding into dust that scattered into the wind.

I ran over to Nico and pulled an Ambrose square out of my pocket. "Are you ok?

How does it feel?"

"Great. Just great." You could see the pain on his face and he was biting his lip. One arm was wrapped around the jagged area the dog had ripped through. His jacket had taken most of the blow, but the acidic properties in the 'dog's' saliva had done the most damage. I removed the jacket before tying a bandage around his upper bicep. The muscle was fine, but he had a large burn area on the skin. It would hurt Nico a lot, but it would heal.

"I'm going to do my best to dress that wound. We can do better when we get back. Are you good for walking?"

"I'm fine just give me a minute." I walked over to the rock and lifted it in my arms. I turned to find Nico holding his arm and tilting to one side.

"You don't look so good."

"I'm fine. Let's go." He started walking down the hill wincing with every movement.

"Well bandage that up as soon as we get home."

"Hmph."

"We'll hail a cab."

"Your insufferable, Solace."

"You know you love me, Neeks."