I Call Your Name

The next day and the next few weeks after were much the same.

Assemble early, stay late.

Miss first bell and perhaps the second. Bail for the last period then race back down the street to EMI for the second helping of their daily dose of Beatle watching, waiting, lingering.

"Stop pushing Geraldine" Katie was famished, tired from the stupid PE session at school and ready to punch Gerry in the stomach. It wasn't a nice afternoon for loitering. The steps had been cleared by big Mal and a few cars pulled ever so close. The worst possible thing to happen when all you wanted was to see your love- George.

He was so dreamy and intelligent, quiet yet cheeky when the mood took him. Kate was rather certain she could score a date if only he spoke more then three words to her, and today wasn't the day. She had no hope of even catching his eye.

It was Friday so any girl worth her weight took the time to come pay homage to the boys. The forecourt was at least swollen by triple the amount of usual fans. It was Kate and Beths 'stay away' day but what the hey they were passing and had left school early for the afternoon.

Beth was across the way, a little closer to the road, not so pushy although catching Kates eye she pressed forward between the girls from the grade below. Toddlers really not like Kate and Beth, those few girls were around ten or eleven and shouldn't even be about, but they were and it was the pits. Beth squeezed between a boy that wasn't particularly bothered to be there and the girls with coke bottle glasses. Bedlam was about to erupt...

Neil Aspinall ducked his head out the front glass doors and all the tittering wound up, the screaming heightened. If Neil was there, Mal or Brian was there, meaning the lads were there...not far behind. And Beth was right. Paul stumbled then righted himself then George sent the marauding assembled a happy cheerio and wave making Kate yell his name along with twenty other girls, Ringo was scratching his ear and took his time, he gave a wink and gently smile and silly wave as he was swallowed into the recesses of the motor along with Paul and George.

Girls pressed anything, something to the windows of the car. Bodies parts, pictures, phone number all squished and flattened like pancakes right up against the metal and glass of the motor. Eventually John appeared and immediately Beth called his name "John!" he strolled down the steps, like he had all the time in the world, clutching his notebook to his chest along with a fountain pen and lead pencil. With only a few seconds to spare Beth smartened up and tried to pique Johns attention " Drawing or writing John?" John immediately paused mid stride and swung Beth's way. Mal looked daggers at Beth, she was getting as crafty as that Kate and Mal was tired of the local girls thinking they had unfettered access to the lads every day.

"A little of both Bethany girl, ta. Come by Monday and I'll have a little ditty for ya" His collarless jacket was so well fitted Beth could see his muscles pulling and shifting as John scratched his nose then without another word he jumped in the back of the dark green motor. The rabble was over, both Beth and Kate never much bothered with the 'press like squished butterflies to the windscreen' way of things, they both turned tail before the car engine even turned over and ran to the street so as to wave goodbye from the best possible spot beside the curb.

It was still fun. The boys still enjoyed all the girls coming about, still paid attention to the regulars and grinned and smiled and signed for ages while the girls milled and laughed and cried. Beth and Kate windmilled their arms and were rewarded with one of the lads chucking a paper plane out the window.

"Signed! Score. You have it Beth, I got Paul's origami paper heart the other week remember"

"Ta Kate, you're a fab mate. Did you see John turnabout and chat to me. God he's so gorgeous, I could die and he says he's bringing me a ditty on Monday!"