Oh baby, I'm down

Time is no friend when lovers are apart... When the bus is late... or you are. When school subjects are a drag or the pittance of what you call a wage isn't due for another day... Or three.

Her fingers touched lonely lips.

Her eyes roved the empty room.

Paul was gone. The mirage of lovers, and or, friends, blurred, disappearing with each and every tick and tock, of the clock on the wall.

Should have kept whatever we were a secret, Jackie surmised. She should have said no to going out in public. Said no and stayed home to wield her womanly wiles on him. He liked her enough in private. Skin heated, hearts thumping in time.

Paul.

He was so fast. His life a merry go round of Beatle mayhem. Never a moment, never a pause. Making love to the man had been full of passion and lust and spontaneous combustion. Something she had never felt before. Something she wanted more of. Him. All glorious five foot ten of him.

Chocolate chip biscuits sat on the plate. Warm, still soft, slightly crunchy at the edge. Nibbling and pondering Jackie closed her eyes for the briefest of moments. Paul was far away and had been ever since they had returned from that club. He may as well have said Hello Goodbye as was the speed of his entry, and exit, into Jackie's world.

Beth rushed through the front door. Kicking it shut with black leather shoes, scuffed in the toe, low on tread. The clock tripped over to twenty-five past three "Oops" Beth cringed as she received her mother's best motherly scowl. The tick and tock of their clock was as routine as ever. Beth. Jackie. Them. One unit.

"Kate says I need to offer to mind Julian again" Chocolate mmmmm mum makes the best chocolate bikkies. She looks... sad, sort of far away. Maybe not Norfolk far away but at least the end of the street far away. Rush the reason, maybe mum will nod absentmindedly "Cause they have been off touring so John will need to take Cyn out" Two, no three biscuits. Yes, yes please.

"I'm sure John can organize himself a babysitter. For heaven's sake, two bikkies, Bethy"

"But, ummm, I was good. Please three mum, they are so yummy! And regarding babysitting...I didn't cause any bother. Looked after Julian like a trooper John said"

Watching Beth flinch three anyway, she shrugged. Win some, lose some. "You can't push yourself on them. Him like that... You'll come off as desperate" Huh well now who's the pot calling the kettle black. Throwing yourself at Paul, wanting his kisses... his candlestick. Oh lordy... his wonderful candle-

"Who's desperate?"

"Pattie! How in the blazers did you get in the flat? I didn't hear you!" Head swivelling Jackie surveyed the front door, and Pattie. Shaking one more 'no' from her head as Beth reached for yet another biscuit Pattie waved her hand about like breaking into a flat wasn't a bother. "Your sneaky skills are really coming on Pats"

"My finely honed stealthy skills you mean! George was ever so impressed and disgusted when I crawled out from under the telephone table in the hall and grabbed his hairy leg. Must have jumped seven foot, he did"

"Your telephone table with- twice the size of its girth- tablecloth draped over it, doesn't count. I'm talking about how you sneak around stealing chocolates from Gary's desk and writing afternoons off in the diary when I'm not looking!"

"Oh poop. It was one teeny weeny pineapple heart and I made us two measly hours late for the Mary Kay shoot. Gary doesn't need the pounds on his bummy... and I was tired!" Flicking hair to distract Jacks interrogation Pattie rounded on a suitably impressed looking Beth huffing out indignantly " 'ello Bethy dear. Your mother is an absolute slave driver!"