xxi.

xxi. 

Garret stood outside her apartment alone. 

Trying hard. 

Trying so hard that it gave him a headache that he didn't succeed. 

It was impossible, that's all that came to mind. An apartment that he couldn't hear through, something else was up and he needed to know what. 

It crossed his mind to go up there himself and figure it out but he refused. He needed to remain patient, as much as his body wanted to act upon everything- he didn't. 

He looked up to the window that didn't give any sound, feeling as if he was being watched but didn't see anyone. Shaking his head in confusion, he vowed to try again tomorrow and see where it would lead him. 

Are you really just going to let her go? Questioned his wolf, Thadus. We need answers. 

In time, he says, trying to calm his wolf as much as he could. Not knowing or having any information about this girl drove him slightly crazy, and if it drove Garret crazy, it only drove Thadus even more. 

Alpha, said one of his pack members in the mind-link. We assume we don't say anything to your dad?

Absolutely not, he says admittedly. Not until I figure this out. 

I mean no disrespect, Alpha. Says another member. But why didn't we capture her? Isn't she the rogue? 

He didn't know how to explain to his pack members, his brothers, that she was, in fact, the rogue. There was just something else he couldn't understand, and couldn't begin to understand it until he could get the right questions in order. 

No, he lies. I don't believe she's the rogue. It was easy to lie because none of his members believed that she was the rogue either. The fact that she didn't bare a scent but instead a perfumed one took over the stench that would've come from being a rogue. But even with the perfumed scent, he somehow couldn't smell the fact that she was a rogue. Not even a slight trace. Another thing to add to his list of questions. I was following a potential lead because she is new here. Today was reason enough to know that she isn't the rogue, she doesn't bare any of the attributes. 

Yes Alpha, they all say. 

Now silent to leave him to his thoughts, he thought back to Rhoda in the diner. It was clear now that she had lied and now he needed answers as to why. 

Taking one more glance at the apartment, seeing a shift in the curtains, he left. 

Walking the two blocks over to the diner, he walks inside to see it slightly picking up before the dinner rush. He walks to the booth, waiting for Rhoda to show up. Call it her natural instinct, but whenever he decided to show up, she would make her presence seen. He didn't know how she was able to do it but she always showed up when he needed her. 

Under two minutes, she sat across from him with a piping hot cup of black coffee. He was able to smell the fact that she didn't add any sugar or cream and that was exactly how he liked it. Pushing the cup to him, she waits patiently for whatever was troubling him. 

Seeing him walk inside the diner with a faraway look on his face was reason enough to come out on the floor to talk to him. 

After taking his first sip, he set the cup down, looking directly into Rhoda's eyes. Every time he looked at her, he felt a sense of his mother in her. How, in so many ways, he wished that she would end up being the mother that was taken away from him. He wasn't selfish, no, he knew that she was married to Cyrus and that her loyalty remained with him. In so many ways though, he wished that the marriage never existed and that she would marry his father instead.