xxxiii.

xxxiii. Emerald's POV

Garret had gone home to change into something more presentable for when I met his dad and wanted to make sure everything with the pack was under control. I had finally figured out what I was going to wear to this meeting and was satisfied enough to finally leave to the address that Garret had given me. 

Playing around with my striped black and white sleeveless dress, I doubled checked my hair and makeup in the mirror by the front door. I didn't feel like I was trying too hard but yet it was also acceptable for "meeting the parent" type look. 

ooh la la by gojapparel, Shoplook

ooh la la by gojapparel, Shoplook.io

Grabbing my purse, I head for the door, opening it as I search inside of my bag, making sure I wasn't forgetting anything. But once the door was fully opened, I felt it, and I stopped. Looking up, I expected to be struck with fear and nervousness, but his soft yet somewhat intimidating eyes didn't strike me. I remained calm. 

"Mr. Johnson," I say softly. 

"Forgive me," he says. "I decided to come to you instead of you coming to me, I figured it would be easier that way."

Nodding my head slowly, not sure how he knew where I lived, I stepped aside to let him in. Walking inside, I still felt surprisingly calm. He made his way to the living room and sat down on the love seat while I settled on the middle of the couch. I remained silent as he looked around my apartment, taking in the scenery. 

He opens his mouth, clearly to beginning questioning, but I beat him to it. 

"Sorry," I begin. "Is this conversation about... your son and me?"

"Naturally," he says. 

"Then..." I wave my hand so that the candles light up to give us privacy. "Forgive me, I don't like to talk freely, especially since it's a supernatural town. Don't know who can be listening."

He looks at the candlesticks, possibly now realizing how many littered the living room. His expression wasn't one of shock or confusion, but of realization and understanding. He knew. But how?

"You're Rose Taylor's daughter," he confirms. 

Time stood still for me. 

I looked at him as he looked at me easily. My identity as a whole was kept quiet. Rumors obviously surfaced of me, reasons for why my parents were taken from me, but they were never confirmed. So how he knew, when he was on the opposite side of the country we lived in, I didn't know. 

"How did you-"

"Well for one, your silence gave it away," he chuckled. "And I knew your mom." My confused face made him continue. "She didn't live too far from here actually. She grew up here in Texas."

"What?" I whisper. 

He nods his head confirming what he said. "You know that this is werewolf territory but we're intermingled with the humans. She obviously didn't know of our existence until she mated with your father but-"

"Wait," I interrupt. "My mentors used to live here, but they left when they were given their powers. They felt it was unsafe for them. How did my mother live here and survived?"

"Ah you're talking about Jemma and Malena Brooks," he clarified. "That is true, under my father's reign he did not allow witches to be on his territory. Your mom was lucky because she found her mate, your father, around the time her powers came about. Maybe a month after your parents learned of each other's existence is when she got them."

"How old were they?" I questioned. "When they met."

"I believe your father was seventeen and your mother was sixteen."

"How did they..."

He smiled. "We were hosting the Alpha's ball that year. Your father and I were friends, we would be the same age if he were still alive. We were close because we both faced the deed of becoming Alpha's of our pack in the next year once we turned eighteen. Your father was ready for it, only nervous because he hadn't yet met his mate. Back then to ensure your position as Alpha completely, you needed a mate to gain the title. 

"Anyways. The party was boring after an hour or so, so we went out into the town. I had the idea of seeing my girlfriend that night..."

While he told the story, it was as if my mind displayed every thing, as I was there that night. I was with my father as he hung out with Mr. Johnson and other friends. I was with my father as they strode the streets together, having left the party early because of their boredom. I was with them when they decided to go to the diner that I worked at, meeting Rhoda who was a waitress and was serving the few customers that were there. 

"Rhoda," I said, interrupting him. 

"How did you-"

"Please, continue."

He looked at me wondering but went on nonetheless. "Yes, we visited Rhoda and that's when your father met your mother."

They were sitting at the booth that Garret sat at with me. My father smelled my mom before she even appeared from the kitchen with her hair in a ponytail and tying her apron around her back. She was gorgeous but she didn't know it. She smiled at Rhoda, giggling about something she must've said and looked around the diner until their eyes met. 

I was silent as my vision came back to reality and I was now facing Mr. Johnson, his eyes expecting. 

"I've told your story," he begins. "You tell me yours."