8

"Many a mind I have haunted 
And in many a way, I have been
Often the one to have flaunted 
An image grotesque and obscene"

It was different this time, When Arabella stepped inside the hospital that is, it was much more renovated. Things were cleaner, set up more as if it would open today to the public. She questioned how he could have done it. It must've taken him all night to complete it in such little time.

"What I wanted to show you is this-" He began as he went to the far corner and rummaged through the contents of a shelf, his back faced her. 

Tobias pulled out a rusted metal mask in the shape of a birds beak, the eyes made of glass and glistened with a beady emptiness. It was exactly like the mask she'd seen in her dreams. All Arabella could do was stare at it with wide eyes. This puzzled Tobias but he explained further, this time in a slow voice as he studied her.

"Its to keep out the toxic air while treating the patients. We stuff the beaks with herbs you see-" He said. Arabella's face must've paled because Tobias proceeded to ask her, "Are you alright?"

She looked up at him and only nodded before letting a "Y-Yes" Slip out. That's when she only glanced at the mask before looking around at her surroundings. Everything seemed to slow down. Now the walls, the flooring, the beds, it all seemed so familiar once again. As if she'd seen it a hundred times before, only this time it looked new and clean, as if the black rats would scurry to them bringing a frantic mess. Just like in the memories of her sleep. Those black rats. She could remember them so vividly even though they were just a dream. An imagination. Matted fur,  cold red eyes, along with the snaked tail. Arabella began to back up while suddenly feeling hot, that was until she tripped over her own dress and almost fell back with a small yelp. Tobias grabbed her by the arm before she could fall and pulled her back up into him. Her hair falling into her face messily.

"Woah-" He exclaimed suddenly as he helped her balance to her feet before brushing back her hair. "Don't worry little one I've got you." He smiled gently, but Arabella couldn't focus on his words. Everything felt dreadfully wrong. As if something bad was going to happen. As if they were walking to their death.

'Little One'

She only nodded in response to him. No need to embarrass herself further.

"My apologies." She breathed out quietly as she looked at him.

"Don't apologize."He whispered back as he edged closer to her. His hand slipped to cup her cheek, her eyes widened but she didn't move away, Slowly Tobias pressed his forehead to hers and closed his eyes, Lips so close to her own.

"Tobias-" She melted and closed her eyes. Leaning her body in closer and tilting her head. "Don't-" That word was a low and silent hum because she didn't want him to stop despite how wrong it would be if they did kiss. And Tobias could certainly tell how she felt through her body language.

Those few seconds felt like long and blissful moments. He didn't kiss her at first, instead, he let their bodies touch and explore each others presence, his arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her up against him with need. Tilting his head from side to side, letting their noses move against each other but not their lips, her hands went into his hair with a gentle grip, he rubbed up and down her hips, mouths teasingly close.

It started out slow and became rough and passionate. Her mind swarmed as their lips crashed and their tongues fought. Soon enough Arabella found herself pushed against the wall, Skirt somewhat lifted, and legs wrapped around his waist while his hands ran all over her and hers all over him.

It was as if they were giving into an addiction. Splurging themselves with each other. Neither wanted to stop and both occasionally moaned out of delight into the heavy kiss they shared. It was a splendid and sweet but both knew it wouldn't last forever.

Finally, they had to pull away for air, both gasping for it meanwhile they just seemed to stare at each other. Her face was red yet it matched his blushed expression as well. Hesitantly he set her down from her position against him and the wall, skirt flowed around her loosely, while his arms remained around her waist, eyes never left each other.

"Don't marry him," Tobias whispered.

When she didn't respond he pressed his forehead back against hers and cupped her cheeks.

"I don't want to." She hummed. But Tobias sighed.  Tobias sighed because that wasn't the answer he wanted. He pulled away.

"Why do you have to be so submissive to it?" He frustratedly let out and ran his hands through his hair while turning his back to her with another defeated sigh at his efforts. She could only stand there and watch him.

"I-" She started but had no real words to say and shrank within herself. Those eyes retreated to the floor.

Silence filled the room because neither knew what to say or how to respond. More importantly, they didn't know how to proceed. The chemistry was clear between them. Tobias knew he couldn't turn back after that kiss and Arabella knew about the obstacle of her family too well. But the need in both of them thought they'd be able to make it work, they hoped at least. Naturally, he took in a soft breath and slowly turned back to face her, motioning with his hand, his eyes softened and he spoke again.

"Come here." The now gentle words fell out of his mouth and beckoned her. With swift steps, she did as he asked and soon found herself embraced in folded arms again, her face buried upon his chest, and a kiss planted on her the top of her head. She closed her eyes.

"What am I gonna do with you Little one?" The smile could be heard in his voice.

'Little one'

"Never to let go,
Those Rats"