17

"Would you let me touch your soul Forever? "

The moon poured through the windows. Filling every crack, every corner, everything in her room. It was beautiful. But she could only lay there. Sleep wasn't kind enough to pay her a visit. Her chest rose with every soft breath and fell with its heartache. She was simply in a daze.

What did it mean to waste ones life away? For some it meant the lack of success. For others like Arabella, it meant the mistake of trusting a stranger. A foolish school girl crush.

Arabella sighed and closed her eyes. That was, until a pebble hit her window causing them to shoot open again.

Thud.

Her eyes widened.

Thud thud.

She shot up. Could it be? Arabella clenched the covers to her chest. Another pebble hit the window. That was all it took for her to swing her legs out of bed and approach.

She was hesitant to peer out the window but when once she did her eyes met a familiar face.

He seemed daze. Tobias had to lean against the wall to steady himself before he could properly stand on his own. He coughed into his hand and ran his fingers through his hair. His breathing hitched but he looked up at her and smiled. A forced smile.

Arabella overlooked all of that.

At first the girl was happy. Delighted. She opened the window but by doing so, she frowned.

It was hard for her to say, but she spoke anyway.

"What're you doing here Tobias? " Her stormy eyes looked away.

Tobias was taken back by her suddenly hostility. But he understood why. He'd been ignoring her after all. But he knew he couldn't stay away from her. His heart wouldn't allow it. The days seemed longer, the nights seemed colder.

How cruel days seem when you're alone.

He sadly chuckled at that thought because he never realized it before.

In fact, he was scared. He didn't want Arabella getting sick on his account. But he also didn't want her to waste her life away waiting for him. And soon waste her life in anger or grief once he was gone. He looked at the ground momentarily.

"I wanted to talk. " He hushly said.

"Then talk. " She leaned out the window and was sudden to speak back, bitterly. Sadness in her eyes. It hurt him to see her like that. "Tobias? Have I done something wrong? I have not seen your face in ages, you've hidden yourself from me, and here you are wanting to talk? "

"I'm ill. " Tobias looked away. It was like a bomb dropped on Arabella. She couldn't believe it. She refused to. But she looked at his pale face, his inability to properly stand, his eyes-

"Well, a simple stomach bug is no issue Tobias. " She pushed a smile but deep down her heart sank. "I'm sure you'll feel better soon-"

"It's not a stomach bug Arabella. " He sighed in frustration. He looked faint. Tired. "We both know what it is. "

She frowned. And for a moment, they only starred at each other. Her eyes began to water. Her head began to pound. She was finding it hard to breath. This was so sudden-

"Go for a walk with me. " His voice was urgent.

But Arabella hesitated. This made Tobias nervous.

"Alright." She whispered. She made her way outside after quietly sneaking down the stairs.

The entire walk was silent. Uncomfortable. No one said a single thing.