12

"How could it end like this?
There's a sting in the way you kiss me-"

"Arabella?" She awoke to knocking at her door. It was her mother. Events of last night swarmed her mind.

"Uh, one second!" She glanced around the room and almost fell out of bed while she shoved Tobias' wet clothes under the bed and found the note he left. With no time to read it now, she shoved it under her pillow and pulled her covers up to her shoulders to conceal the love bite he left her.

"Come in." She squeaked out.

The door opened with a creak.

"How did you sleep?" Her mother spoke softly.

Arabella paused and realized that for the first time she slept peacefully.

"Good." She smiled.

"Thats wonderful." Her mother returned the smile. "I'd like to take you to get fitted for your wedding gown-"

Arabella frowned but didnt protest.

"-Mr. Francis braught this for you." Her mother approached her and held out an engagement ring. Forced to hold her hand out, Arabellas mother slipped the ring onto her daughters finger.

The ring was expensive, gold engraved and filled with diamonds, yet the sight of it made Arabella feel disgusted and cold.

"I'll leave you to change, then we will be off for that fitting, have lunch and tea, and perhaps get a gown and mask for tonights ball-"

Her eyes went wide.

"Ball?" She repeated.

"Yes. Marcus Dawson is holding a masquerade for the opening of the hospital tonight-" Her mother held her head high, ready for her daughter to protest as usual against the party. She sternly spoke. "Now dont you dare protest against me. We are going and-"

Arabella cut her off and giddly spoke.

"Im excited!"

Tobias filled her thoughts. Perhaps they could dance-

This took her mother back. The woman furrowed her brows.

"Are you?" Surprise was High in her voice as she questioned her daughter.

"Yes." Arabella nodded.

"Well alright-" Her mothers voice trailed off as she left, closing the door behind her.

Arabella sighed when the door was closed and smiled. Eagerness overtook her as she snatched the note from where she hid it and opened it fondly.

Over and over again she read each word, her smile growing wider and wider. She began to wonder what kind of secrets they could steal away from tonight.

It was all so sweet-

She looked down at the engagement ring that glittered in the light.

-And all so unfair.

Arabella frowned but decided not to think on such dreaful thoughts. She decided to let herself be happy tonight just like last night.

She sat at her vanity, looking at the happy girl that displayed in the mirror, and studying the obvious love mark that was there. She couldnt help but swoon at it and bite her lip in rememberence.

How Arabella adored that mark, simply for the sweet memory it held. Her face heated as she though of it.

"Good God-" She whispered to herself as she brushed her hair And shook her head at herself. "Im grinning like a school girl."

Arabella held too much excitement in fact, she wanted to look her best for Tobias tonight.

She rushed to her closet, being sure to pick out under garments with a high collar to cover the love mark, and a dress for the day, then rushed to take a bath.

After collecting and heating water then filling the tub, she gathered herbs for the water. Jasmine, rose petals, lavender, anything sweet she could find for her bathbath while humming a soft tune.

After Arabellas bath she dresses quickly and returned to her room before pinning her hair with pace so she could write a bit in her diary. Happiness filled her, seeming like nothing could ruin her mood.

"Diary
29th December,

I slept with peace last night after Tobias visited me. It seems its been a long time since i had peace.
Im well aware of the consequences that are bound to last nights choices and yet i still hold no regrets. I feel as if im giving Tobias my all and he is giving the same in return.

I think i need him.

-A.W."

She closed the book happily just as her mother called her down stairs where a carriage awaited them.

The entire fitting made her scowl, contrasting to the swet tune she sang when her minds thoughts wandered away to her new lover.

The wedding gown that her mother picked was entirely of lace, with a rippled collar, and fitted at the bust flowing out to the bottom. The sleeves came to her hands where they looped onto her middle finger, and overall the dress was breathtaking. But it made her sick.

The rest of the day was slow and agonizing probably due to the anticipation that awaited her for the evening.

After fitting it was tea and lunch, then a dress and a mask for the nights party.

Arabella picked a dress with a high collar and a skirt that flowed out and trailed behind her. It was a shade of crimson red and the sleeves, bust, and waist were entirely of lace. The mask she got was a mix of gold and engraved in red. She wanted to impress her lover at the ball, especially when theyd run away together for the night.

Her mother was surprised at Arabellas bold choice in fashion but didnt protest. Simply because she thought that her daughter was getting a proper and more mature consciousness on her decisions.

When time arrived for the ball, Arabella made sure her hair was half pinned and left the rest of her locks to flow, excitedly she hurried to their carriage in her mask wearing the brihhtest of smiles-

-That was until she opened the carriage door to find Mr. Francis awaiting her.

"Your father and I will be taking a different carriage to the ball-" Her mother explained. The young girls heart sank at her mothers next words. "Since you both are engaged, i thought it best that Mr. Francis be your escort for the night. We shall announce the engagement to our dearest friends and celebrate with a toast."

Arabella looked up into the carriage where the fat old man sat and behind her mask she scowled at his grin.