Chapter 5

Havolynne really hoped she was doing it correctly.

She had only read of the Test of Elements, she never actually practiced it.

The four clay bowls, each containing an element, laid on top to fallen trunk of a tree. The first bowl contained a piece of wood ablaze (Hand started, not Elementally), the second containing water (Dipped from the stream, not Elementally), the third containing different assortments of rocks and minerals, and the fourth one was just circulating air. She enchanted the Test spell, embedding each element with magic, which also made the air swirl visibly in the fourth bowl.

Havolynne took her dagger from it's sheath and held it, and spoke the Test enchantment.

At last, she was ready.

Colin and Connor sat nearby, watching and listening to Havolynne.

"Nick, Riley, you must slice your hand a little to draw blood, then let a single drop fall in each bowl. Then stand back and wait for your results, which you will know when the time comes. If it turns out you have no Element, nothing should happen. So, since you must take turns, who will go first?"

"I will," Nick spoke out. "Might as well get this over with." Nick look bored, but Havolynne knew he was anxious to see if he had an Element. How did she know his true emotion? I guess it was the perk of being the Heart of Pure.

Havolynne handed him the dagger.

Quickly, Nick sliced his palm and let the red liquid ooze. He walked up to the first bowl, and the drop of blood sizzle in the fire. Next, his blood dropped in the water. Then, the drop of blood spilt on the rocks. And lastly, he let the blood swirl into the bowl of circulating air.

Nick took a step back and they all waited.

Nothing happened.

Instead, Nick's would healed magically on its own, as Riley, Colin and Connor gawked at it.

"The sign of a regular mortal. The spell for the Test of Elements healed your hand, as a saying that it apologizes, but it'll heal you. If you were in fact an Elemental, you would have to stick your hand in the bowl of your Element to heal." Havolynne explained.

"Cool!" Colin exclaimed from the background.

"Shut up Colin!" Connor punched Colin's arm and bickered out loud and telepathically as Nick went to sit by them.

"My turn," Riley said and Havolynne handed him the dagger. Hesitantly, Riley sliced his palm and let the red liquid gather in his hand. He walked up to the first bowl, and the drop of blood sizzle in the fire. Next, his blood mixed in the water. Then, blood spilt on the rocks. And Finally, let the blood swirl into the bowl of circulating air.

Riley stood back and waited expectantly.

Would he be an Elemental? Or a plain mortal as well? Colin, Connor, and Havolynne all thought.