Chapter 10

They had been walking at a fast pace for a mere 10 minutes, and Riley had already stopped to marvel at the world around him about 15 times.

"Riley, hurry up! I don't want to die!" Colin yelled.

Nick made it his job to keep Riley in check, funnily enough, and dragged him along.

Havolynne couldn't help but notice that Nick, too, was awed by the Magic World... Just as she was her first time.

She smiled sadly.

"So where we headed?" Connor piped.

"West. As far as we can get. Something about an abandoned...place... In the west," Havolynne broadly said, glancing around nervously. Who knows who or what could be listening in to their conversations, and possibly informing this Dark King.

The name bugged her. Dark, as in Heart of Dark? Charles was the Heart of Dark and just died, so it was impossible. Then why "Dark" King? Was it simply a nickname? Or maybe this King was a liar...

"TRUE Heart of Dark..." the newspaper said. Perhaps this King had used the excuse and lie saying he was the Heart of Dark to reign and gain power?

Was she just overthinking it?

They continued walking at the fastest pace they could. They all knew someone was hunting them. Though Havolynne was worried about how long it'll take to be found.

Soon enough, Havolynne sensed that the group was tired. Even Erion. Yes, the Draether came along with them. Havolynne would make sure Erion is at its strongest before it left. Though, obviously the creature had a choice, Erion still stayed, despite being free. It was almost as if it was going to be loyal to Havolynne.

Havolynne didn't mind. Especially since the Draether would probably detect pursuiters before she could.

They stopped by a small river and sat in a shaded area. The boys gratefully sat down in the shade, scarfing down their food, while Havolynne tended to Erion first, and once the creature had its filling of mice, Havolynne ate her own food.

The afternoon sun was blistering overhead, and Havolynne fought every urge to go in the water and swim to cool down.

"So how much further do we have to go?" Riley asked in between bites.

"I have no clue. Two days worth? A week? I really don't know," Havolynne replied. She truly didn't know how far it was, only that it was in the west somewhere.

"A week of walking!" Riley groaned.

"So basically you are just listening to a voice in your head. What if its like evil?" Nick asked.

Havolynne thought about it. The voice couldn't belong to the Dark King. Why would he warn her beforehand if it was? And the voice specifically addressed the Dark King as someone else, and an enemy.

No, this could not be evil at work.

But then what?

The sun would set in a few hours and Havolynne wondered if the group should continue on or stop for the night.

"So where do we sleep?" Riley asked, yawning.

"You're tired already!" Colin exclaimed.

"Well, Riley, I was just about to ask you guys that same question. Do you guys want to keep going or settle in for the night?" Havolynne asked.

"I say we put as much distance as we can in," Connor said and the group (except Riley) agreed and they continued on for about an hour along the river bank.