5: Race or hand.

"Uh, so..." Jay scratched the back of his neck.

"Lost all your confidence now, huh?" Maddie raised her eyebrows and looked up at him.

"What, uh, what do you mean?" he questioned.

"Nothing, Muscles." Maddie rolled her eyes. "Come on I'm sure you and your evil friends have stuff to do so I won't keep you too long." she started to bounce down the hall, her red curls also bouncing. Jay quickly followed behind her.

"Muscles?" he asked, now walking alongside her.

"Sure. You got a problem with the nickname?" Maddie bounced.

"No." Jay shook his head. "But why have you nicknamed me?" he asked, scratching his neck again.

"Becauseeeeee I felt like it. And it suits you." she poked his arms. "But come on, we're not getting anywhere just chattering." she started to run down the corridors. "Let's see how well you can do against a princess!" she called.

"Wait, what?" Jay shook his head and started to run after her. "That wasn't fair!"

"You're a VK, I thought fair wasn't in the cards for you!" Maddie called back, smirking as she continued to run. Jay had no reply to that at all.

/

Eventually, Maddie and Jay reached the fields. Both were out of breath and panting from all the running, but Maddie was proud of her victory.

"Well well, guess you aren't as sporty as your muscles show." she nudged his shoulder as they sat on one of the bleachers.

"I took it easy on you." Jay said defensively.

"Suuuuure you did." Maddie chuckled. "You're just a sore loser, Muscles." he rolled his eyes.

"I didn't expect you to actually win."

"Why?" Because I'm a princess? Because I'm a girl?" she questioned, with a slightly sad tone. Jay didn't reply and she sighed. "Yeah. That's what everyone thinks." she stood up.

"Wait." Jay grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down. "Don't leave already. Come on, tell me, what do you mean by everyone?"

"I mean everyone. Everyone expects all girls to be perfect prissy princesses. They're all obsessed with makeup and dresses." Maddie sighed.

"And that's not you." Jay said.

"Exactly." she nodded. "I climb trees. I don't wear dresses. I wear dirty jeans. I don't wear pink. I wear barely any makeup. I'm sporty, I get into fights. None of that is princesslike."

"But I like that." Jay interrupted. "Different is better."

"You're used to different though. Auradon is stereotype central." Maddie rolled her eyes and sighed. "But I didn't bring you out here to talk about me." she stood up again, pulling out a bow from under the bleachers, as well as a bunch of arrows. "Time to teach you archery." Jay stood up.

"Okay." he nodded and reached out to take the bow. Maddie stepped back and shook her head.

"You think I'm gonna let you use this without at least giving you a demonstration?" she raised an eyebrow. "It's not take and do as you please here." she pushed him to sit on the bleachers and then walked over to the target and stepped quite far back from it.

"Uh... what are you doing?" Jay asked.

"Showing you how it works." Maddie said in a duh tone. She then put her left foot forward. "First you put your-- you're right handed, right?" she asked, looking at him. He nodded. "Okay, just making sure. Anyway, you put your left foot forward in line with the target," she did so, "And then you hold the bow with your left hand..." she waved her hand and held the bow with it. "And you'll use your right hand for the string and arrow." Jay nodded. "You keeping up?"