23: Falling In Love

Elyse was thankful that she had gotten out before the crowd. She sped-walked all the way to Maddie's room.

"Elyse hang on." Jay called from further down the corridor. He jogged up to her. Elyse stopped in her tracks. How could he... Elyse immediately spun around and slapped his cheek full force, leaving a red mark with loud noise.

"Ow!" Jay exclaimed, bringing his hand up to his cheek. "Okay... I deserved that..."

"Why do you fucking think? You hurt her!" Elyse said coldly. "How can you even..."

"I followed you so I can put it right." Jay sighed. "I know I did but I wasn't thinking about her at that moment..."

"Really, then what were you thinking? Ok so I need to steal a wand. Let me date the prince's best friend!" Elyse said sarcastically.

"I didn't think I'd fall in love with anyone when I came here." Jay said, sighing. "I didn't know she was Ben's best friend. That's not what pulled me in. It was her eyes. The mischievous glint in the brown. Her bouncy hair. Her humour. Her laugh. Her personality. The way she stands up for herself and isn't afraid to speak out. Everything about her. But not the fact she's Ben's best friend." Elyse was quiet for a moment.

"Then why did you go through with it?" She asked.

"We didn't think we had a choice. Our parents..." Jay trailed off. "It's complicated, but we didn't think we had the choice to refuse."

"They're in the isle. You're here. How would they have done anything?" She pointed out.

"They'd have found a way." Jay said. "It's complicated and we're not used to having choices against what they say. But here, we do. We can make our own choices. And my choice is to be with Maddie and prove that I love her. Because I do. And hurting her is the last thing I want but I've already done that..." he sighed. "And I regret it. Because it's hurt her." Elyse just nodded and turned around.

"Go on you can kill me if you want." Jay said. "I know you have ice magic or whatever so you're capable."

"I could." Elyse said, beginning to walk again. "But I won't."

"Why not?" Jay asked, jogging up behind her.

"Because I care for Maddie, and I know that hurting you will hurt her." Elyse said. "And you seem to regret it. Besides, there's a chance Maddie will do the deed herself and that will be much more amusing than me just freezing your heart."

"Woah." Jay blinked a few times. "Of course I regret it..."

"Well hope that she's in a forgiving mood." Elyse said, stopping at the front of Maddie's door and turned to face Jay. "Probably best I go there first."

"Yeah..." Jay scratched the back of his neck. Elyse tried to open the door. But it was locked.

"Maddie?" Elyse called. "I know you're in there."

"Go away." Maddie's muffled voice echoed, as well as a sniffle. Elyse looked at Jay.
"She never cries..." She whispered."Just let me in... please." She begged, louder.

"Why?" Maddie sniffled again. "Leave me alone so I can realise how much of an idiot I am." Jay frowned from behind Elyse.

"You're not an idiot... Please let me in. Or I will pick the lock myself." Elyse said.

"I am. I fell in love with a dickface who used me." Maddie replied, sniffling again.

"Okay I deserve that..." Jay muttered.

"Yes you did." Elyse whispered to Jay. "Madison open the door."

"Don't call me Madison." Maddie grumbled.