13: Let Me Play

"Maddie! Red, come on respond to me." Jay's voice echoed in Maddie's ears as the ringing slowly calmed, her vision began to focus again. But one thing that didn't die down was the pain in her shoulder. Her head throbbed.

"I-I..." Maddie breathed. "I'm... fine..." Jay frowned and wrapped his arms around her, carefully pulling her up and supporting her by resting her against his chest.

"You fell down hard. You're not fine." Jay said worriedly.

"I am... let's continue the ga--" Maddie couldn't continue. She winced and stifled a scream when she fully began to feel the pain in her shoulder.

"Red, no." he shook his head. Maddie tensed up and squeezed her eyes shut, sitting herself up, though Jay kept an arm tightly around her.

"Muscles yes. I'm fine." she opened her eyes to see Elyse, Autumn, Rae and Ally running towards her.

"Maddie what happened?" Rae asked.

"Nothing." Maddie muttered as tears formed in her eyes.

"Sure looks like nothing." Elyse said coldly but worriedly at the same time.

"I'm fine now let me up and play on." Maddie grumbled.

"But you're clearly not fine, Red." Jay said, keeping his arm around her. "You couldn't move a few minutes ago. We seriously thought you passed out."

"Mads, you can't even sit up on your own." Elyse said, shooting a glare at Jay.

"Maddie, are you ok?" Ceci asked, running up to them.

"I'm fine I'm fine just let me play." Maddie sighed.

"But like Elyse said, you can't sit up." Autumn pointed out.

"How are you meant to run around and play the game?" Rae questioned.

"I can do it if you'd let me get up and try." Maddie said with frustration, though a tear slid down her cheek and Jay noticed it and wiped it away with his thumb.

"You'll end up hurting yourself more." he said softly. "I don't want that."

"Wait... are you crying?" Ally asked. "You never ever cry."

"I'm not." Maddie looked down. "I'm fine."

"Ally is right." Elyse said, leaning down, and pulling Maddie's chin up and looking into her eyes. "You are." she finished softly.

"Um... isn't her shoulder supposed to be higher?" Ceci whispered to Rae.

"Oh shit." Rae's eyes widened, looking at Maddie's shoulder. "Yeah.. it is."

"I'm fine." Maddie turned her head away.

"You need to stay still until the first aid comes." Jay said softly.

"Leave me alone. I don't need to be treated like a baby. I'm fine." Maddie grumbled, trying to disguise the fact she was crying. She wasn't moving her left arm or shoulder at all. "I'm not crying. I'm not hurt. Just let me finish the game."

"But Maddie... your shoulder." Rae said.

"What about my shoulder? It's fine. I'm fine. Now leave me alone." Maddie said quietly, focusing her eyes to the floor.

"And you said you weren't hurt." Jay sighed.

"I'm not!"

"Maddie... your shoulder is out of its socket... how are you not screaming?" Ceci asked.

"She's stubborn. Too stubborn." Elyse grumbled as the first aid arrived.

"Ma'am, we need to get you off the field to examine you" the first aid person said.

"I'm fine. I'm finishing this game." Maddie said firmly. "I'm not getting off this field until the game is over."

"Red your shoulder... you can't play." Jay said gently.

"I can and I am so stop babying me." Maddie grumbled, tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Madison Dunbroch, you are getting out of the field right now. Your arm is hanging out of its socket, you are crying and you're holding up the game." Elyse said in a harsh tone. Her eyes then softened. "Come on." she stood behind Jay in order to take his place.

"Jay! We can't hold the game off anymore!" Coach Jenkins called. "We need you!" Jay turned to Maddie, who let out a sigh as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"They're not going to let me play. You need to go and win this game." Maddie said before he could say anything. "Now."

"But you-" Jay tried to speak.

"Now. Go you idiot." Maddie said. "And if you don't win this I'm going to punch you." Jay sighed but nodded. He quickly leaned in and kissed her cheek, leaving Maddie with her eyes wide and her cheeks slightly pink. Jay ran off without saying a word over to the rest of the team.

"Wait... what?" Autumn looked at Maddie with her mouth open.

"Did he just..." Ally gasped.

"Don't ask. I don't know." Maddie muttered.

"What the fuck?" Elyse murmured, and then shook her head and took Jay's place, helping Maddie get up. "Let's get you to the Nurse."

"Ow..." Maddie winced when she stood up. "I'm fine see I'm up." she said quickly, though still crying.

"You need to be checked out." Rae sighed.

"Your shoulder is not in its normal position." Ally said.

"And none of us want you to hurt yourself even more..." Autumn added.

"And Jay seemed really worried about you. He really-" Ally said, but Autumn nudged her before she could continue.

"Can we focus on the important thing?" Elyse sighed.

"Maddie do you want us to go with you?" Ceci asked.

"I don't care." Maddie grumbled.

"Well I don't think we should leave you completely alone." Ally said.

"Some of us could go back to the bleachers and watch the game." Rae suggested.

"I'm going with her." Elyse stated firmly.

"Autumn, go with them. Rae, Ally and I will stay here." Ceci decided. Autumn nodded.

"Sounds fine by me." Rae said.

"We'll come straight to you after the game." Ally said to Maddie.

"Yeah yeah whatever..." she replied quietly, wiping tears from her eyes.

"We need to get her checked out." the first aid person said to the girls.

"We're on it." Elyse nodded and the group split up.

" Elyse nodded and the group split up