Chapter 11. - Rendezvous

A/N: I realize that a lot of you aren't big fans of Lukas just yet, and that's because I haven't really given you a chance to get to know him. Until now...

***

I turned to the girl I thought of as my best friend for the last... oh I wasn't sure! Like twenty-four years or so. "What have you done?!"

Callie rolled her eyes. "I was saving you from making a huge mistake." She said calmly, her hand still clutched in mine as she pulled me towards the doors of the club.

"That back there was the man I've been dreaming about for eight years, Callie! And you know he was about to kiss me!"

"Yes, I know that, London." One of the bouncers opened the doors for us, the cooler night air hit me hard, making the hair stand on my sweaty skin. "And then what?!" She asked, turning to face me. There was still a huge line outside, and now they were all staring at the show. "You would've kissed, and then he would've offered to take you back to his place." She said swiftly, as our ride pulled up.

This time, we didn't wait for the driver to open our doors. We jumped in to the back, and told him to take us back to our apartment.

"You would've had two options then." Callie went on angrily, holding two fingers up. "Decline, and manage to completely push him away. Because, honey, men like Lukas LaBelle won't chase a girl who doesn't put out... Or,-" She lowered a finger. "-you could've went back to his place and make him the second man you've ever slept with. Ever!"

I frowned.

Even if I wasn't willing to admit it to her, she had a point. I wasn't thinking that far ahead, because my mind was too busy with wanting to feel his lips on mine again.

"We saved you from having to make that choice!" She finished, throwing her hands in the air. "It would've been a lose-lose situation. Plus, Jesse thought it would make him more interested in you if we took away his chance."

I sighed. Of course. I've made a deal with Jesse.

"I'm sorry I snapped on you."

Callie shrugged. "I have to admit, Lukas looks much hotter in person than he ever did on your posters. I can definitely understand the appeal." Then, she added quietly. "And so does Jesse."

"Oh, no you don't!" I warned. My life was complicated enough when it came to Hazmat and my friends. The very last thing I needed was to mix those two. "You are the most boy-crazy person I know." I teased her, rolling my eyes in exasperation.

"You mean besides Ginger?" We laughed.

"You're right. Can you imagine her in the same room with someone like Jesse?" I wondered out loud, and she gasped. "Or even better! With Ash!"

We fell silent, no doubt picturing the strange couple our sarcastic, down to Earth best friend would make with someone as unapologetically sexual as Asher Wolfhart. "I think he could learn a thing or two from her." Callie said, finally.

"Ash is very intense in person." That was the understatement of the century. All three times I've met Ash, he made me feel like there wasn't enough air in the room – in an uncomfortable, sweaty palm type of way. "Anyway, why are we even talking about this?!"

Callie replied, without missing a beat. "Because we need to decide on the seating arrangement for you and Lukas' wedding!"

I rolled my eyes. "You're not forgiven yet, young lady. You still owe me one."

Callie leaned in to give me a hug. "Anything for you, Londie!"

***

The next morning, I woke up to a bunch of texts. I grabbed my phone, scrolling through the messages suspiciously. It was unusual for me to be so popular – the only people who ever checked up on me were my parents and my two best friends. Even my own brother seldom used my cell to communicate with me.