Chapter 41. - Golden

A/N: I know the wait for this chapter was unreasonably long, and for that, I'm really sorry. But trust me, you won't be spicy about that for long ;)

***

*London*

I washed our dishes while Lukas cleaned up outside, before coming back in and opening a bottle of white wine. He poured generously, then handed me a glass. "Are you trying to get me drunk?" I teased, a small smile playing on my lips as I walked up to him.

He wrapped an arm around me, hooking a long finger into the back pocket of my jeans. "The gentleman in me is insisting I deny that intention." He smirked. "But yes. Maybe we both need a little loosening up."

Four days - I reminded myself. That was all I had left with him before he would leave on tour. Four days to figure out what this really was between us.

My mother had advised that I should just talk it out with him - she told me to just lay my feelings on the line. But as I took another sip of the sweet, delicious drink, I doubted the words could get past my dry throat.

Instead, I melted deeper into his arms, loving the heat that was radiating from his body through mine. Lukas LaBelle lowered his head, resting his forehead against mine. "Tell me a secret, Cartagena." He whispered, his golden eyes searching mine.

"I think I-" I sucked in a small breath, my stomach twisting. "-I think I could get used to this," I said instead, tightening the hold I've had on his shirt. "I really like spending time with you."

A small smile played on the corner of Lukas' lip. "Who wouldn't?" He teased before his expression returned to serious. "I meant what I've said earlier - about the band. Sometimes, it starts to feel empty and meaningless. I still like it but... I don't know if it's enough anymore."

Dreading his reaction to what I was going to say next, I whispered. "I know about the girl - the band-hopper. I know that it took a toll on the band - and for a very different reason!" I added quickly before he could interject. "I just want you to know that I would never do anything to stand between Hazmat and the fans. First and foremost, I am a fan."

I knew that Lukas cared about me. He had made it clear on more occasions than I could count. And while his feelings weren't nearly as irrevocable as mine, I knew that it had hurt him to watch me struggle because of his fans. This whole ordeal since the public has realized that we were together was taking a toll on both of us. But I couldn't stand the thought of him questioning his relationship with Hazmat because of me.

Long before it all started, I have promised myself that I would never be the person this epic band would break apart for. And I would stand by that until my last breath.

"You don't know-" Lukas started, then trailed off. "I like being with you too, London. This is different for me too." He murmured, nuzzling his face into my neck as he hugged me closer to him. "Let's not worry about Hazmat tonight, though. I have something better to show you."

He pulled me toward the couch situated in the middle of his modern, minimalistic living room and I sat cross-legged across from him as I watched him lift an older looking guitar onto his lap. Anticipation buzzed in my veins and my heartbeat picked up as I waited for him to begin. Hearing Lukas LaBelle play live was a treat I didn't think I could ever tire of.

And tonight, it just meant that much more.

"This is something new that I've been working on." He smiled lightly, but the gesture didn't touch his eyes. I watched as the glimmer dimmed slightly before he bowed his head and focused on his fingers - a nervous habit, I realized, because Lukas LaBelle knew his way around a guitar better than any other player of our generation.