Chapter 53. - Remodeling

*London*

I got out of my car on shaky legs. The last thing I could possibly want to do was be here and live through this of all things.

But at the moment, I didn't have another choice.

Oh, but I did have a choice - the voice in my head whispered. If Jordan was right - and why the hell wouldn't he be - I didn't have to do this job. In fact, I didn't have to do any job, ever. For the rest of my life, I could just take one vacation after another. Perhaps buy that adorable little house on the Greek island I fell so in love with...

I shook my head. That wasn't my money. It didn't matter where it came from, I didn't earn it - and therefore I couldn't keep a penny of it. I was going to find out where it came from and give it right back.

Or donate it. I wasn't sure yet.

But I've had just as much right to the outrageous sum on my account, as I've had the right to stand here today.

I didn't dare glance at the house at the end of the cul de sac. Could he be home? My head spun. I didn't want to know. It was better that way, for everyone.

But before I could dwell on that any longer, the giant double black doors swung open, and a familiar, tall, muscular shape dominated my vision. Muscular wasn't the right word to describe Ash Wolfhart - he was beyond that. He looked like the kind of person who spent every free moment lifting weights and throwing heavy things around - which wasn't very far off from the truth.

He took a couple steps toward me, his black eyes not giving anything away as he pointed toward the doors. "Go on."

His deep raspy voice featured many memories I've had as a teenager and young adult, and I used to think it was one of the most soothing things in the world.

But as much as I adored Ash as a singer, as a human being, he had been less than what I've dreamed of. "Let's make this clear - I'm here on a job and nothing else. If this is one of your tricks to-"

"To what, London?" Ash lifted a brow at me. "To fuck you?"

My breath caught and I could only nod.

"I don't need tricks to get chicks in my bed. And I like a girl who can fill out her jeans." His dark gaze ran down my body, and I had to hold back my flinch.

"Ow!" I scowled. "Fine, then. Let's see your house."

He stepped out of the way and led me in first, keeping a safe, respectable distance between us. "It came furnished when I bought it."

I nodded. I could see that. The home looked like it was decorated for showing off its best assets, showcasing the high ceilings, airy living areas and floor to ceiling windows that looked out the private beach that functioned as his backyard. It was impressive.

But it wasn't Ash.

"What do you picture when you think of your dream house?" I asked, glancing around the wide space. The layout was open and...

I just couldn't picture Ash laying on the creme colored couch, wrapped under a pastel blue blanked while glancing out at the waters.

"Something dark..." He started, trailing off. He obviously hasn't given it much thought - which was just as well.

This was what I was good at. As I glanced around the space, my mind started spinning, thinking of a new layout, dark velvet furniture that was borderline gothic, yet fashionable. I pictured heavy curtains hanging on the side of the windows, ready to be drawn closed when its owner wanted privacy.