[10]

ii

ii. Bonfire

"Alright, Mr. Stilinski..." Dr. Vadenburg's voice drew out a bit. Stiles and Gwen watched their dad sitting on a hospital bed.

"Sheriff." Stiles and Gwen corrected him at the same time. "Sheriff Stilinski. I've got you scheduled for surgery first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, it's going to take a little digging to get that slug out of your shoulder."

"Yeah it's fine." Their dad was in a little pain as he signed the papers. "One more." He signaled for the doctor to come look at something. "What's this part here? This line." He pointed.

"Patient Responsibility. Parts of the procedure and hospital stay not covered by insurance." The doctor explained making Gwen shift in her seat uncomfortably. "Are those big parts?" Her dad questioned nervously. "Expensive parts?"

"That's between you and your insurance unfortunately. You should start feeling the morphine in a minute. Try and get some rest Mr-Sheriff."

The doctor left the room and Stiles bit at his nails and Gwen scratched the inside of her arm. "Hey stop that. Both of you." Their dad told them. "I was just curious about the terminology. We're not in kind of dire straits."

"We know about the bills, Dad." Stiles spoke pointing over to Gwen who had her knees pulled in her chest in a chair. "I know about the collectors calling about Eichen House. I know about the advance from the department, about the credit cards."

"Stiles, are you and Gwen going through my stuff?"

"Yeah, we go through all your stuff." Gwen stated softly in a depressed tone. "Especially when you keep things from us." Stiles added.

"I keep things from you two because you don't need to know everything."

Stiles spoke up a little louder, "Yes I do. I have to know everything. How the hell else am I supposed to take care of you?"

"You're not supposed to take care of me! I'm the dad! You're the son. You get it? Dad. Son. I take care of you." Their dad yelled a little making Gwen even more sad.

Stiles sat down, "We're supposed to take care of each other."

Gwen looked over to her dad with tears glossing over her eyes, "Hey, we're going to be alright."

"How do you know dad?" Gwen asked resting her head on her knees. "I don't. But the morphines kicking in. I'm not all that worried about anything right now." He chuckled a little falling quickly asleep. "But I am." Stiles said softly.

"Come here Gwen." Stiles opened up his arms and Gwen walked over there hugging him and falling asleep quickly in his lap.

__

Liam laid in bed looking up at his ceiling trying to fall asleep. He turned to his side hoping it would help, but his printer went off and papers began to fall onto the ground.