[21]

ii

ii. Midnight Reading

They all stood over the table looking down at the multiple copies of the book about the Dread Doctors.

"My mom's book club usually has more wine." Lydia said jokingly. "I'm down." Gwen raised her hand only to be brought down by Stiles.

"Well, they also probably don't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles said making Gwen roll her eyes. She pretty much gets those anyway.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott said looking up at her. "So none of us go running into traffic?" Kira asked and Scott nodded, "Or worse."

"Like what happened to Judy." Malia said making everyone look up at her in confusion. "Chapter 14."

They all nodded and Lydia picked up the book, "Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping up he ceiling and attacking everyone."

"Yeah, if it works." Stiles deadpanned. "It has to."

"What does that mean?" Scott asked Lydia. "I think I saw them during my surgery."

Gwen widened her eyes and Lydia continued, "When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like.." She trailed off trying to find the right words.

"A memory trying to surface." Theo said softly and Lydia nodded.

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Gwen asked and everyone nodded. "If they did something to me, I want to know what it is."

They all started to pick up a copy of the book and take a seat on the couch. Theo sat beside her and Malia sat on the other side making her smile.

After about an hour of reading, Gwen still couldn't feel anything. She looked over at Theo who was about 40 pages behind her.

"How do you read so fast?" He asked and she shrugged, "I didn't like reading when I was younger, but I grew into it around 8th grade and I read the Harry Potter series maybe 6 times." She chuckled and he smiled at her.

"Anyone feel anything yet?" Scott asked from the other side of the living room.

"Tired."

"Hungry."

"Bored." Gwen frowned.

"I think he meant the book." Theo said nudging Gwen playfully.

Kira sighed laying her head on the couch. "You're not giving up are you?" Scott asked his girlfriend. "I'm just resting my eyes."

Gwen rolled her eyes, "That's what they all say."

She felt a buzz in her pocket and looked down at her phone.

Liam ☺️:
    Hey where are you?

You:
     Scott's house reading the Dread Doctor book. Why? Where are you?