Chapter Three

It was my 15th birthday. 8 years now that I've spent it without my parents. I'd wonder what they would look like now. What are family would be like. I'd be preparing for my first shift as a wolf with them. They would be there with me while I was going through my the pain but it would be worth it. Instead, I've spent my birthday doing my normal chores— cooking, cleaning, and just doing everything at request. Today, I was beaten so badly to "remind" me that I was worth nothing. That because it was my birthday I wouldn't get treated differently. Sir would tell me he thought I didn't deserve to be in this world and that I was only here just to do things for him and I would serve my purpose here. Even though I wondered why I was spending my life in these conditions, I knew that one day my purpose in my life will happen. Everyone was put here for a reason. Even after 8 years, I still try to think about everything my parents said to me. Id be a strong wolf, that it would be like no other, but this day, my 15th, I didn't shift. Everyone is supposed to shift at 15. My body is to weak— so weak because of the life that I have here. This awful life. I don't even know if I'll shift. As long as Im living here, it won't happen. This awful place.

"Hi."

His voice was so deep, so soothing and raspy. Never heard anything like it.

Despite the state he was in, he still gave me a very charming smile with a dimple on each cheek. His hair looked very messy and was falling into his eyes a little bit, but he still managed to look handsome.

They're for sure no men I've seen that have looked this breathtakingly beautiful.

I shuffled away from the bars just to put some distance between us, the bars helping my situation.

We kept looking at each other. I was the first one to break eye contact, twiddling my fingers that have become interesting at the moment.

"You know, it's rude to not to speak when I'm clearly trying to have a conversation with you," he spoke smoothly with so much confidence.

I lifted my head up and saw that he was very intently staring at me. He looked me over like he was taking me in. I don't know why, but it made me want to make myself more presentable to him.

I actually cared for once.

"Um hello," I whispered, hiding behind my curly hair.

He scooted closer to the bars still having that smile on his face. How can he smile like that? I know he hasn't had the best treatment in here.
He probably had a whole life already. Parents that are worried about him. Although he looks a bit older than me and definitely doesn't look like he's in high school still. He could have a girlfriend or a crush? What if he's just a student in college trying to graduate and get a job to help benefit his pack? Everything what I imagine anyone's life would be outside of mine. There's so much you don't know about someone by just looking at them. They always have a story about them, no matter who they are.

"Well I can tell you don't talk much do you?" he asked.

Looking at the ground, I shook my head, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

Mystery man chuckled a little but then found it becoming a cough. I looked up at him again— he held his side hissing in pain. They must've hurt him really bad in just one day.

After his coughing fit, he slid the tray closer to him. Disgust was clearly written in his face while he picked up the fork and messed around with what looked like some type of chili.

"Are you sure this is even edible?" He asked while putting the forkful of "chili" up to his mouth.

   He kept wanting to talk to me and i just kept wanting to leave. But at the same time I wanted to talk to him for hours.