• N I N E •

"You haven't even seen my bad side yet."

• • •

I wake up and untangle myself from my sheets. Sitting on the edge of my bed, I rub the sleep from my eyes.

Some people hate nightmares.

I am plagued by them nightly. Because of my shadow powers, I actually don't need to sleep. Ever. However, I enjoy the nightmares because they are memories. They might not be the best memories, but they help me remember my family.

Getting out of bed, I groan, remembering that I have to return to school today since it is Friday. I was able to work at the restaurant yesterday and I had two fights. I'm pretty sure at least one of my ribs are cracked, but I merely ignore the pain for the moment.

Careful of my ribs, I quickly get dressed and grab my backpack and run to school where I head to my first class, ignoring the whispers and stares that seem to always follow me. I plop down in a chair in math class, wincing slightly as the movement causes the pain to flare up.

Kolton is squinting at the board.

"What on earth is that?" He asks dramatically.

"Calm down," I say with a roll of my eyes. "We've gone over this unit before; it's just review if you've paid attention in last years math class."

Kolton looks at me and slowly says, "You do realize I've had Mrs. Valdez as my teacher for the last two years?"

My eyes widen.

"You poor thing."

"Exactly," Kolton sighs, running a hand through his golden hair. "How could anyone expect me to learn anything?"

"I was being sarcastic," I tell him flatly. "Your teacher sucks. So what? Learning is necessary."

"Nope," Kolton argues cheerfully. "Being on the football team and getting along with others is necessary. When will I ever use this information?"

"This information is useless junk," I concede. "But that doesn't mean that learning isn't important."

"Only a smart person would say that," Kolton says, giving me a pointed look.

I roll my eyes again. "I'm not smart. I wish I was, but I'm not. I just apply myself."

"Like for a job?"

"I'm done talking to you."

"Okay, I'll just use my pen to poke you all class."

I look at him. "Try it."

Kolton, being the idiot he is, actually does try and poke me with the pen. I snatch it from his grasp and snap it in two before tossing both halves in the trash, not even bothering to aim. Thankfully, I was able to cleanly snap it and there is no ink anywhere.

Kolton gasps, "You b-broke my pen?"

Glaring at him, I snarl, "I'll do a lot worse if you don't shut up."

Turning to the front, I notice that Mrs. Valdez is still not there.

"Where on earth is the teacher?!" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air.

Kolton doesn't even look at me.

"Hello? I asked you a question."

Kolton continues to stare at the board blankly. Sighing, I slump in my seat. Something tells me that this is going to be a long day.

• • •

Grabbing as much food as I am allowed, I make my way to where Victoria is sitting.