• T H I R T Y • E I G H T •

"I spend too much time looking in the mirror and hating the person who stares back."
• • •
Rage's POV
• • •

It feels like years had passed. It's probably only been a couple of weeks, though. I have no clue how long I've been here, really.

When I wake up, there is sometimes a tray of food waiting for me. On this tray, is crackers and a vitamin pill. It's the same thing each time. However, the food doesn't come consistently. I know because sometimes it comes when I'm not that hungry, other times, it comes when my stomach is screaming for food.

At inconsistent intervals, Kitrina lets me out of my small, bright cage so she can run tests on me and observe my powers. I tried a couple times to break free during this time, but every time, my powers cut out after only a second or two and she just floods the room with gas and knocks me out. I wake up back in the cell with an even worse headache each time.

Each time I am let out, the wall itself slides out. It's a different wall each time, though. I know because when I went back in, I sat there and waited until it opened again from a different side.

The lack of consistency, the lack of knowledge, it all is driving me slowly to madness.

Huh. Rage is going mad. Hilarious.

With a groan, I bury my head in my hands. I clear my mind completely and stow away all my emotions to be used later.

Emotions are my fuel, my fire. And I'm going to need to control and focus all of them on Kitrina and getting out of here before she takes my powers. From the way she blabbers on, it seems she is very close.

I collapse to the ground and roll over to start doing push-ups. My arms still ache from the bout of exercise, but it helps me stay busy and focused while still keeping a clear head.

I can't wait for Kitrina to slip and get close. So far, I haven't seen her face to face, let alone gotten the chance to attack. But she'll mess up sooner or later and I'll be ready. I'll be ready.

The wall slides open as I am completing another push-up. Climbing to my feet, I realize that it's time for me to move.

Just outside my room is a hall that leads to one room and one room only. And this room is full of equipment—targets, mats, and other items for my powers. Despite this, however, I have still not been able to communicate with Asher through our mental connection. I'm pretty sure it's because of the power dampening technology that seems to fill this place.

This time, though, there is someone else there.

"Hello, Rage," He says, turning to face me. "I am the other prisoner here."

He has thin, white hair and his pale skin looks unhealthy and shows wrinkles. His bright blue eyes are tired and sad. His voice had a Southern twang to it and he is hunched over and frail looking. This man certainly isn't who I was expecting.

"How do you—"

"I know your name because of my element," He answers before I have even finished my question. "I have the element of time."

"No such thing," I reply, quickly dismissing the idea.

"Just like it's impossible to have eight powers. Just like it's impossible for two people with fauna powers to communicate telepathically," He counters. "I see all and know all."

"You poor thing," I tell him with a wince.

He continues, ignoring me and saying, "I know what has happened, and I know what is to happen. In my youth, when my powers were stronger, I was able to even stop time and turn it back or forward."

"What—"

"Abraham, but you can call me Abe," Abe says, cutting me off once again.

"Don't cut me off like that again," I spit, my anger growing.

I push that down too, saving it for later. This man isn't a threat as far as I can see.

"Of course not, darling," Abe replies in the slow manner of his. "But I have some answers I think you would like to hear."

"Answers?" I repeat sharply, completely focused on him now. "To which questions?"

"Well, how about I just talk to you while you use your powers so Kitrina can observe?" Suggests Abraham.

Nodding in agreement, I head over to the targets and begun, starting with fire. I have been careful not to reveal my full powers. I don't want help Kitrina out any more than I absolutely need to.

"I was taken a while ago," He starts. "Kitrina was originally going to take my powers for her plans, but I am too old. She cannot remove my powers and use them herself. So instead, she uses them through me. You see, I am the one that told her about you, Rage."

"What?!" I demand, whipping around to face him with a deadly glare.

"No need to worry or panic," Abraham assures me. "You will survive this and be reunited with your loves. But you must fight and grow stronger Rage. Not only to get out of here, but also for the war that is coming."

"War?" I echo, losing my glare as surprise and fear fill me.

The last time this country was at war, we lost over half of our population and grew powers. Who the hell knows what another war would bring?

"Yes," Abe confirms. "And your country will survive, but your government will fall. All will be corrected by the girl of death."

"Death?" I whisper, dread filling me. "That's not me, right?"

"No, Rage," He replies seriously. "You've seen death, but you are not the one. You will, however, meet her. You have an important role in the future, Rage."

Silently, I try to wrap my head around all this and process what I just learned. I return to my power demonstration, surprised that Kitrina allowed the conversation to continue for so long in the first place. It makes me question her plans, her motives.

That's when I notice.

"I am the other prisoner here."

"What did you mean by that?" I demand, fear fueling my anger.

Abe sighs, already knowing what I am talking about.

"I know you've met her and I'm sorry. Scintillate is dead, though, Rage."

• • •
Oof, that was a lot of info. *crosses fingers* I hope it wasn't too much of an info overload, lol.
• • •

Q: If you could have any color of eye, what color would you pick?
A: Honestly, this is so hard for me because I love unique eye colors (obviously!) but I can narrow it down to silver, electric green, and violet.