• S I X T E E N •

"I never had a chance to be soft. I was always bloody knuckles and broken shards of glass. I wanted people to be afraid of hurting me."

• • •
Rage's POV
• • •

With each word he says, the angrier I get.

"I'm gonna go to your home, drag your parents out to the shed by their fucking ear, rip them limb from limb, slowly burn them and then leave their dead bodies out there to rot," I hiss angrily.

Boaz's eyes widen comically.

"You got a problem with my plan?" I demand, eyeing him.

"Umm, yeah! You'd go to prison! You can't kill people!"

Too late...

"Oh? And why is that?" I question.

"Because we just got you!" Yells Boaz. "We can't lose you over my stupid parents!"

I blink, taken aback. I lean back and try to process that.

"Okay," I whisper.

"Okay?" Boaz repeats.

"Okay," I nod. "I won't kill them. Let's go back to the others now."

Standing up, I stick a hand out to help him to his feet. Boaz stands up but doesn't release my hand. We walk together in a comfortable silence as we make our way back to the others.

I open the door to the cabin and take an empty seat on the couch.

"So?" Gage asks, looking between the two of us.

"She knows," Boaz mutters, staring at the floor.

"She knows?!" William exclaims, his eyes wide.

"About my parents," He continues.

"Oh, thank goodness," William says, sighing with relief.

I narrow my eyes when I am distracted by Asher saying, "I have to know Rage. Why do you wear those contacts?"

Biting my lip, I hesitate before answering, "They aren't contacts. My eyes really are yellow."

Gage leaned forward, the familiar spark of curiosity blazing in his hazel eyes. "Do you know why?"

"Did you get it from your parents?" Darkon asks.

"I don't know to both of you," I sigh. "I was born with these eyes and I never knew my biological father."

Asher places a comforting hand on my shoulder. I look up at his understanding eyes and offer him a grateful smile.

"Huh. I always assumed they were contacts," William remarks with a shrug.

I nod. "I prefer it that way. Most of my life, I have been... hurt. My freakish eyes only give people another reason to hurt me."

Looking up, I see that they are all wearing angry expressions, but I can tell it is aimed at those who hurt me. I instantly grin, thankful they don't think I'm a freak. It actually feels nice to have people who care enough about me to get angry when they think I have been pained.

When I got hit, my brothers used to care. After all, they were my older brothers. They felt protective. Over time, though, they just got used to it. Our fathers brainwashed us all into thinking that they weren't doing anything wrong.

I bite my lip using the pain to distract myself from my thoughts. My family is all dead, thanks to me. No sense in thinking about them any longer.

"So what do we do now?" I ask, feeling the need to switch topics.