• F O U R T E E N •

"The chains on my mood swings just snapped.
Run."

• • •

Rage's POV

• • •

I grin at the thought of being able to communicate with Asher telepathically. That would be so cool, honestly. My grin falters as I remember that this is the first time I have ever tried my powers out with someone else without hurting them.

I shake my head. I am beginning to care too much.

"Ready, Rage?" Asher asks me with an eager grin.

Smiling softly, I nod. I close my eyes as Asher closes his. I breathe deeply and shut out the others and focus on the mental aspect of my powers. I reach out with my mind and feel Asher doing the same, but I can't get them to connect. Our powers are like two forces. Or, better yet, like oil and water. They clash and refuse to bond.

I feel Asher's powers fade and open my eyes to look at his frustrated brown eyes.

"This isn't working," Asher grunts.

"Clearly," I agree, rolling my eyes.

"What's the matter?" Gage asks, mystified.

"Our powers aren't... compatible," Asher explains.

I smile slightly at his choice of words.

"Try again," Gage instructs. "Try doing it differently."

I want to score at that. Easy for him to say.

But I bite my tongue, wanting to figure this out.

Taking a deep breath, I shut my eyes again. I focus intently on Asher's powers and shut out the others as they begin to talk quietly with one another.

I reach out with my powers and try to force my way into Asher's, but that doesn't work either. He tries doing the same. My mind beginning to grow incredibly exhausted, I reach out and grab Asher's hand. Instantly, our minds flow and a bond is created.

"Can you hear me?! Can you hear me?!" Asher yells mentally.

I wince and reply, "Not so loud. Please."

"Sorry," Asher apologizes, mumbling.

I open my eyes to see a coat of pink covering his cheeks.

"It's okay, Bambi."

His head snaps up and his brown eyes gawk at me. "Bambi?!"

"I stand by my decisions," I declare.

"Why, though?"

"Can you really not see?" I ask with a lifted eyebrow.

Hesitating slightly, Asher reluctantly nods and admits, "Yeah, I can see why..."

"I'm not liking this," Nekoda mutters. "Can Rage read our minds too?"

I shake my head. "I can't read anyone's mind. I can communicate with animals telepathically -and now Asher too-but I cannot connect with any one else, unless they have strong fauna powers too."

"What's the difference?" Gage asks, curiosity igniting his sharp hazel eyes.

"Humans are animals, true," I start. "But we are much more complex and communicating with a human or controlling them would be impossible. I never even imagined being able to connect with anyone at all, let alone so quickly."