• E I G H T E E N •

"Underestimate me. That'll be fun."
• • •
Rage's POV
• • •

"Can you still hear me?" I ask Asher mentally as I stop a bit further in the woods.

"Loud and clear," Comes his instant response. "How far are you now?"

"Easily over five miles," I reply with an excited grin.

My grin falters for a second.

"You know, I never used to smile this much," I admit quietly, not even sure why I am saying it. "I used to never smile."

"I'm glad we met too," Asher says smoothly in that calm voice of his. His voice has a rough edge to it and is oddly soothing.

He understands at once what I am trying to say.

"Thanks, Asher," I reply before changing the topic. "Five miles was a lot farther than we anticipated. Any theories?"

"Well, this is all uncharted territory," Asher begins. "I'm pretty sure that we are the only people to have figured out that we can communicate this way."

Powers are to be concealed, suppressed, hidden. Few people ever experiment with their powers and they almost never train with others. There is so much to learn and test out.

I nod before realizing he can't hear it and mutter, "I just nodded."

Asher's deep chuckle echoes through my mind, sending a slight shiver up my spine.

Checking the time on my phone, I realize that I have an early fight starting in an hour. It won't take me too long to get ready, but I'm kind of deep in the woods. I didn't think we had been out here very long, but it is already eight. Darkon had left earlier—once Asher and I began to work on our telepathic communication.

"I've got to go now," I announce. "I'll see you all tomorrow at school."

"Alright, I'll leave you alone, then. Just know that you can always talk to me. Literally."

Grinning once again, I make my way home. Once I finally get there, I quickly change into an outfit that will allow me to move freely while still covering up my scars. My arms are covered so I don't have to worry about applying the game tattoos. I slip on the contacts so my yellow eyes are concealed completely. The jade green wig falls to my shoulders. I apply the makeup that Holly and Weird have me so that I am now completely unrecognizable.

I toss my wraps in my bag and refill my water bottle quickly.

At last, I am ready to go.

I jog to the gym and start stretching when I get there. It's surprisingly empty, but I know that it will quickly fill up with people.

Almost ready, I wrap my hands and feet as Flynn approaches.

"Hey, Raven," He greets me easily. "You have two fights tonight, a powers and non-powers."

I nod mutely as I finish wrapping my hand.

"How are my opponents?" I ask, wanting to get a sense of what I am heading into.

"The powers is against a poisoner. If you let them touch you, you're out. If you let them breathe on you, you're out. If you—"

"I get it," I snap. "Take them out from a distance."

"Exactly. The second right will be against Moon, a newer fighter. She's pretty good, but nowhere near your level. You'll have to draw out the victory. This fight is purely for the audience," Flynn warns me.