• T H I R T Y • N I N E •

"You merely accepted darkness. I was born into it."
• • •

My anger isn't gone like Kitrina thinks. Not at all. It's just subdued. Managed. I'm saving it, mining it.

I haven't given up like Kitrina thinks. I still have a whole lot of fight in me.

I am Rage, and rage never ceases, never tires, and never bows down.

"Come on, Rage," The sharp voice calls. "It's time for your blood test."

Hiding a grin, I trudge out of the room. This is my chance. She's got to be close for my blood test, right?

"I thought you might want to see the results. Since you've been so well behaved, I decided to allow it."

I barely pay attention to her words. I am too busy planning.

"Then, we shall remove your powers."

That makes me pause for a moment. I continue, though, because I know that it won't matter. She'll get close with a syringe, I'll kill her and find my way out of this hell. Find my way back to the boys. Find my way home.

My hands curl into fists as I walk through an opening to a testing room.

Kitrina isn't in there, though. Abraham is.

"Abe?" I hiss, my eyes darting around. "What are you doing here? Is Kitrina trying to take your powers too?"

"No, Rage," He replies tiredly. "I'm here to show you the results of your blood test."

"What? But you don't have my blood," I say, confused and wary.

Abraham nods. "You're right, I don't have your blood. Kitrina took it while you were sleeping, though. She flooded your chamber with gas to keep you asleep when you first got here and took all the blood and samples she needed."

My heart drops at that. I was so certain I would escape...

My arms wrap around myself as his words begin to make sense. I feel so... violated. She came in while I sleeping and drew my blood and who knows what else she did.

Abraham begins to explain all the results, reading from a packet of paper. His words don't register. I am panicking far too much for that.

It's not just that she took my blood. That's minor, really.

No. The problem is that I have no clue how the hell I am supposed to escape now.

"What are you doing?!" I exclaim as I feel a prick in my arm.

My vision grows blurry.

"Rage?! Rage! I thought you were listeni—"

His voice grows distant and I can no longer hear him. Spots creep up in my vision, followed by darkness. Pure darkness. And then I am no longer there.

I am no longer there.

I am waking up in my cell. I can't test my powers because of the power dampeners. I have no way of knowing whether or not my powers are gone. I don't know what happened this time I was asleep. All I have to do is assume the worst.

My powers are gone.

And darkness overtakes me once more as I fall into a deep sleep.

• • •

I am awake again. I can't get up though. I can't seem to find the energy.

I lay there, curled up in a ball in the corner of my cell. My eyes are open but unseeing. I can't seem to feel anything. Not even my anger.