• T H I R T E E N •

This chapter starts on the same day as the chapter before, Saturday and then switches to show Gage's POV too.  

• • •

"Sorry. A machine can't forgive your mistakes."

• • •

Nekoda's POV

• • •

Home.

Home is where the heart is, right?

Well, then this is most definitely not my home. It is the house I've grown up in. I left it... How long ago was it now? A year? Two years?

I shrug and finish tying my silver tie. Looking in the mirror, I make sure that my white hair is in place perfectly. Everything about my appearance is precise and gleaming. The silk button-up shirt, the silver tie, the diamond tie pin, the grey suit with silver threads running up and down in certain areas.

My family is not ashamed of our ice powers. No, we are proud. Our father, Dation Keene, is a businessman of the slightly shadier sort with unregistered ice powers. Everyone assumes that we are registered, though, because of our wealth and status. Surely, we would be registered, right? Wrong.

A knock sounds at my door and I instantly know that it is my younger brother, Ream. Mother and Father never knock and the servants normally wait outside my door while I am getting ready.

"Come in," I call softly to him.

I look in the mirror. A picture of perfection stares back at me. White hair, incredibly pale skin, light blue eyes, and an expressionless face. Ream opens the door. He is a couple years younger than me and a couple inches shorter than me. We are almost identical, though. We are both albinoes, devoid of any emotion, and dressed to mimic Father to a tee.

"Breakfast commences in exactly three minutes," Ream warns me.

I nod slightly. "Understood."

As Ream leaves, I survey my room to make sure that it is clean. I smooth a small wrinkle in my blanket and adjust the angle of a pillow.

This room is nothing like my apartment. At my apartment, comic books, posters, and video games are littered everywhere. Here, it is like a hotel. I guess it is, really. I only come home when my parents have a guest over. My parents pay me and Ream to stay away from the house and come back at their command. My three older brothers are old enough to refuse and never have to be here.

Ream doesn't go to school with me. Instead, he goes to a fancy private school. Tanya decided that I am too much of a screw up to waste money on continuing to send me to a private school. They discussed the idea of sending me to military school, but they decided instead to send me to public school. My parents wanted to show me what kind of life I was headed towards. They figured that if I spent a week slumming it with the poor people, then I would come running back repentant.

A tiny smirk appears on my face at the thought. I certainly proved them wrong. In fact, public school is much better than any of the "high class" schools my parents shipped me off to.

I close the door silently behind me and head down the spiral staircase as quietly as possible. I keep my gaze blank and straight ahead.

I take my spot at the enormous dining table at exactly 6:00 and place my napkin the same way Father does. I take small bites of the lavish food. The table is filled with enough food to feed a family for nearly a year. I have to watch how much I eat though. My mother, Tanya, is always watching and always judging. If I do not eat the exact amount to match my calorie intake, she will get angry with me.