~Chapter 6~

*Grab some tissues if you're emotional person like me! 🤧

*********************

"Hey Doctor Singhania!" Sara said in a tease. He smiled as he held Sara in his arms swaying around on the dance floor. The birthday bash of Sara's father was at full swing and he was feeling a little better. He was spending time with Kriya, looking after her and taking care of her health. And then Avni was also responding to the new treatment, though she couldn't speak due to the multiple tubes attached to her, but she was making progress and it was enough to make him slightly happy. Even things with Sara were going smooth, they were spending time together handling the wedding preparation as only less than 4 months are left now, the venue was booked, menu was fixed, wedding planners were consulted and there was so much more they need to decide. So things were going pretty well lately.

But there was something that was making him uneasy in the party.... He was restless and he couldn't pin point why. He was dancing with Sara but as if his soul was somewhere else, his mind being clustered with negative thoughts, and he felt a something stinging deep inside his heart. His breathes were laboured due to restlessness spreading all through his body. He felt as is something was wrong and he needs to be present there.

He tried diverting his attention and asked, "Sara, are you happy?! ", to which she nodded her head but her next question left him tongue tied.

"Are you happy Rey?", She just asked a simple question but it was enough to leave him speechless. He wasn't!! but he should be happy right?!

* Tring Tring*

Just then his phone rang, which saved him from more mental plight. As he placed his phone onto his ear, all the colours drained out of his face. Sara watched him getting pale and in an instant she knew it was that Cancer patient, who had him worried all the time, even when he was physically present with Sara, but mentally that patient was always hovering his mind. She looked at him as his grip around her loosened.

"It's Avni!", he whispered all lost and the next second he was running out of the hall, looking worried like never before!

~~~

Rey reached the hospital within few minutes and rushed towards Avni's room. There he saw Swayum standing looking inside the room. Swayum turned towards Rey, and the he knew what that look means, he himself often carried the same look when he broke such news his patients.

"She will not release her Rey...you have to... "

He left as if he had been kicked in his face.... How could god be so cruel ?! How can he make the little child suffer so much and let a mother watch the light fade away...

A mother, who had only her daughter with her, her only source of happiness, the only light in her darkened life, her only reason to live.... living with a hope that one day she'll be fine... And in an instant she lost everything! She lost her reason to breath.... the reason for her heart to beat!!!

How can god be so cruel?!!

He felt his body being paralyzed, he couldn't move from his place, but he also knew he had to!

He pushed open the door and the sight he witnessed churned his heart badly. There she was sitting with Avni in her arms rocking her back and forth, humming the song of which she couldn't remember the lyrics but she hums the tune to Avni so that she could sleep. But the reality being, now she have slept forever!!!

Rey walked towards her and kneelled down on the floor, But still she didn't notice him, because her eyes were not ready to leave Avni for a second, as if she would disappear in a blink.

"Kriya?" he whispered, scared and unsure of what he was going to do. This was never taught to them in the lectures he attended  in the medical college nor was it mentioned anywhere in the books he studied!!

How was he going to tell her that Avni was dead! She died in her sleep! Her small tiny body could no longer fight, she could no longer handle the painful chemotherapy, her almost limped body could no longer handle the pain, so it set her soul free... relieved her from all the pain!

He looked down at Avni, who had her eyes closed, and for the first time from the day he saw her, she looked peaceful. But looking at her lying lifelessly, he couldn't fight back his tears. His eyes swelled up, he felt chocked but he knew he need to do it!!

"Kriya... Avni... ", he whispered with his almost cracked voice.

"Shh Doctor...she's asleep!" she nodded her head and whispered, trying hard to fight back tears as she looked at him.

He moved his hands forward and took Avni from her arms... away from her!

Her breath quickened, warm moisture running down her face and she almost panicked!

"Doctor.." he heard her gasping and she called out to him frantically when he held the body of his lifeless child in his arms and pulled her close to him, against his chest... his own tears running down his face mercilessly... As he stepped away, he stopped feeling her arms around his leg as she cried out loud..

"Avvnnniiiiii", He shut his eyes tightly hearing her crying out loud.

He pulled Avni's limp cold body close to him, almost in a death grip and looked down at her heart broken mother, who was crying uncontrollably taking her name in between her breathes...

~~~

"Rey I've given her sedatives..." Swayum informed him who gave a nod in reply.

"Swayum keep her here for the next few days, till she is fine...I will pay the bill!...I will sort out the funeral and everything..." Swayum looked at him as his expression said it all! Till now he was running away from this but now he got to tackle it.

"The funeral is paid for and so is Kriya bill!" Swayum informed him to which Rey looked confuse

"Kriya is part of a government program scheme so... ", but Rey didn't let Swayum complete.

"My child will not have one of those cheap nasty funeral!! " Rey roared. He took deep breathes to calm him down.

" I already let her down Swayum! I can at least give her a simple burial.. " Swayum knew he was hurt and his broken voice vouched for it. Rey got up and left the hospital.

~~~

Sara looked at him as he almost stumbled through the door.

"Rey did you not get my messages...I have been worried sick....and Nil told me you're not on call and ..... "she was left mumbling when he walked up the stairs and locked himself in his study room. She was stunned! He had never ignored her like that! What had gotten into him?!

Pulling out the Pink Teddy Bear from his blazer pocket, he stared at it for a second before crushing his face in it and he sobbed uncontrollably....

He lost his child!

 And the Angel have gone to where she belonged to

.... And the Angel have gone to where she belonged to.....