Two

"So how long did it take you to actually get her number and talk to her?" Summer asked. She was so into her parents' early love life, as if it was a movie or a book. She loved hearing their stories and how they came to be such a powerful couple.

"Uh, awhile," Shawn said as Skylar laid her head on his shoulder listening in, "Not because she was playing hard to get it, but Mathew really was strict on y'all mother. He didn't allow her to honestly have a backbone and that was one reason our relationship struggled."

"Why was he like that?" Skylar asked. She always wondered why her mother and grandfather never really got along, but Beyoncé would never tell them why — or at least give them a real explanation.

"He was concerned about his image and felt as if he had to control Beyoncé in order to maintain that image. He didn't want her to live, basically and it was hard for her to break away from that."

Summer nodded, "Especially since he had money. She couldn't run away from that, right?"

"Exactly," Shawn said, "At times he would threaten to cut her off because she didn't do what he wanted at times. He was cruel."

Skylar shook her head, "You're going to make me hate him, but continue on with the story. What happened when you invited her to the party?"

_______

1994

"Are we really about to sneak out to this party?" Beyoncé asked nervously

"Are we really about to sneak out to this party?" Beyoncé asked nervously. This would be her very first time sneaking out and also her first time going to a party without her parents tagging along. She was nervous, mostly about getting caught.

"Yeah," Latoya said as she brushed her hair, "We'll be back before midnight."

Beyoncé looked at the clock. It was 9PM and the party was starting pretty soon. Thankfully, her mother and father allowed her to spend the night at Kelly's. From there, they'll sneak out and walk the short distance to the party.

"Don't think about it too much," Kelly said giving Beyoncé a pat on the back, "My mom won't even notice that we're gone. I'll leave my music on and keep the light on as if we're still here. I'm more than sure that she won't check."

Beyoncé took a deep breath and sighed, "Okay, well let's go. We need to have as much fun as we can."

They successfully snuck out through the window in Kelly's room. Beyoncé felt a little better knowing that they were safe and not caught, so her small nervousness eventually went away.

They made it to the party and was met with loud music and the loud smell of weed mixed with alcohol. Beyoncé frowned in disgust at the smell, but she got a little used to it after being in the party for almost five minutes.

She felt extremely out of place seeing that majority of the people were in high school and technically grown, except for them — 3 girls fresh out of middle school with no idea of what a party suppose to be like.