Six

January 1995

It's been months since Shawn and Beyoncé shared a kiss and since then, he has been head over heels for her. They talked everyday nonstop. If he couldn't hear her voice then he didn't see the point of having a good day.

It was January 4th and their very last day of winter break. They haven't seen one another all break and Shawn was pretty disappointed. He was used to all of his female friends coming to see him whenever they pleased. With Beyoncé, she had to ask her parents for everything and he hated that.

Beyoncé was at a nice restaurant with her family to celebrate her mother's birthday. She hated coming out in public with her family because everyone felt the need to approach them. Strangers treated her family like they were royalty and she hated that shit. They could never go out in peace.

While Mathew discussed political things with Tina, Beyoncé was texting Shawn. He has expressed how much he wanted to see her, and for the first time she felt like she had the balls to finally ask her parents if she could go see a boy. She didn't want to be disrespectful so she waited until they were done talking to ask.

"Mom, Dad... can I ask y'all something?"

Tina and Mathew looked up at her and nodded their heads. She sighed and kept her eyes on her father since he needed more convincing.

"Can I go to Latavia's place after this?" Beyoncé asked. It wasn't her intentions to lie, but seeing the look on her father's face let her know that she couldn't mention a boy right now.

She used Latavia because Tina didn't have her parents' number to call and be sure. Besides, it was the first person she could think of since she couldn't use Kelly and Latoya as an alibi anymore.

"Is Latavia's parents okay with that?" Tina asked with her eyebrow raised.

Beyoncé quickly nodded, "Yes. She asked already and told me to ask you."

"And what exactly do you guys plan on doing?" Mathew asked.

"Just girly stuff daddy. You wouldn't know anything about that."

Tina looked at Mathew and he looked back at her. Beyoncé knew them looks all too well. They were trying to figure out if they should believe her or not.

"I'll be back before it's too late. I know I have school in the morning," Beyoncé said, "Please? I haven't driven my new car that much and it would be nice to finally drive it around."

Mathew shook his head, "We didn't buy you that car to be driving around. You only drove it to dinner because Tina allowed you to. You don't even have a license."

Beyoncé sighed, "I have a permit though."

"But it's not a license."

Beyoncé shrugged, "It's not like I can get arrested if I was stopped. I'm your daughter."

Beyoncé always felt the need to use the my dad is the governor card when she couldn't get her way. She knew for sure that she wouldn't be arrested because people feared her father and she was his baby girl.

Tina looked at her daughter as Mathew looked at Tina clenching his cheek.

"Okay.." Mathew said, "I'm giving you permission to drive to Latavia's but you better not be out all night. You're not grown and it's a school night."

Beyoncé let out a deep breath that she wasn't aware she was holding, "Okay daddy, thank you."

She pulled out her phone and sent Shawn a quick text.