Eleven

August 1995

"If y'all don't have on the purple shirts we picked out, I'm going to be livid

"If y'all don't have on the purple shirts we picked out, I'm going to be livid." Latoya said through the phone. Beyoncé and her girls were all on the phone at once as they got ready for school. They were all excited since they were now Sophomores and wouldn't get picked on and called freshmeat.

"I'm dressed," Beyoncé said as she stared herself in the mirror, "I'm about to head downstairs and eat breakfast so I'll see y'all at school."

They said their final goodbyes and she ended the call. She grabbed her backpack and headed downstairs to see her mother, father, and Solange already sitting down at the table. Soon as she walked in, she caught their stares.

"What do you have on?" Solange questioned, scrunching her face.

Beyoncé looked down at her outfit and then at her parents, "What's wrong with what I have on?"

"Too revealing," Mathew said, staring at her with a mug, "You're showing too much skin and you think that's appropriate for school?"

She sighed, "Daddy, it's only my shoulders. What's so revealing about that?"

"You don't need guys looking at you and getting the wrong idea."

"They wouldn't have to because it's not that serious," Beyoncé said, "It's my shoulders. Why would guys be getting the wrong idea about my shoulders?"

Mathew frowned, "Are you getting smart? I should make you changed."

Beyoncé looked towards her mother for help but Tina continued to eat her food. She didn't see anything wrong with what her daughter had on and wasn't going to step in her and Mathew's disagreement unless she felt the need to.

"Mama, tell him." Beyoncé pleaded. Tina lifted her head and looked her daughter up and down. She didn't see the issue at all and felt like Mathew wanted to argue with Beyoncé just because. She didn't understand why he was so strict on her.

"I don't see an issue Mathew," Tina said, "She looks nice."

He scoffed, "Of course you would say that. You'll let her step out the house in a bikini I'm pretty sure."

Beyoncé ignored her father's remarks and began fixing her plate. She planned on having a great day and didn't need him killing her vibe.

She sat down at the table and began eating. Minutes in, Tina had said something that made her heavily sigh.

"So your father will be taking you two to school today." Tina said.

"Why?" Both Beyoncé and Solange asked.

"I have some things to handle at the shop and I won't have the time. Mathew will drop you guys off."

Beyoncé slightly groaned, "I don't want to deal with all of that."