Seven

Present Day

"Daddy, you have any wine here? This story is getting good!" Summer said as she hopped off the couch. Shawn told her where the wine was and she went in the kitchen to get it.

Summer grabbed the wine glasses and headed back to the living room to see her father and Sky still talking.

"Are you really telling the story without me?" She asked, pouring the wine in their glass. She handed it to them and then sat down.

"It's getting good too." Skylar said with a smirk.

"Wait, where did we leave off?"

Shawn sipped the wine as he thought about where he left off. "Oh, so me and Bey got together in January on her mother's birthday. I'm gonna fast forward to February, Valentines Day."

Skylar chuckled, "Hell no. We do not want to hear how you took her virginity."

Shawn laughed, "That's not what even happened. I didn't take her virginity until some months later."

"Oh, well spill the tea. What happened?"

__________

February 1995

"Who do you have all these gifts for?" Shaunie asked, peeping her head into her brother's room. She stared at the huge teddy bear sitting on the bed with the bouquet of yellow roses and candy.

"Mind your business." Shawn said as he put on his earrings and began brushing his hair.

Shaunie smacked her lips, "I already know it's for Beyoncé, but the question is... How did you get it? Please don't tell me you stole all of this and going to give it to her."

Shawn frowned, "Stole? I haven't stolen anything. I bought that with money, stupid."

"But what money!? You don't have any!"

Shawn rolled his eyes. He didn't know why his sister cared so much about what he did with his money.

"Don't worry about it." He said with a shrug.

"You're selling, aren't you?" Shaunie asked, digging a hole in her brother's face.

Shawn stayed quiet and that only let her know the answer. She shook her head as her eyes watered. Shawn looked at her and once he saw the tears in her eyes, he instantly pulled her into a hug.

"You're going to get killed doing that." She mumbled in his chest, making Shawn heavily sigh.

"No I won't. We need the money Shaunie. How you think we gonna live around here? Mama little ass paycheck ain't doing shit but keeping the lights on. I'm doing this for you! For me, for us. I promise I won't get locked up or worse, killed."

Shaunie rolled her eyes with her head still laying on his chest, "That's what Eric said and look where he's at."

Shawn bit his lip as he thought about his oldest brother. Eric has been in jail for the past three years because of drug trafficking and possession of a weapon. They even tried to pin him down for a shooting that happened two days before he was locked up where two guys lost their life. Shawn got sad every time he thought about it because his brother had seven more years to go. Hopefully less.

"I'm not Eric and you know that." Shawn said. He kissed his sister's forehead and pulled away. He went into his pocket and pulled out a $20. He had worked the block a lot for the past couple of weeks so he had a lot of money saved up.