Nine

May 1995

"Who's coming to pick you up?" Tina asked as she straighten her daughter's hair. Beyoncé stared at herself in the mirror watching as her mother did her hair. Today was Shawn's graduation and she had to be there and especially looking her best since she would be also meeting Shawn's mother for the first time.

"Latoya," Beyoncé said, "She's going too."

Tina looked at Beyoncé through the vanity mirror. Beyoncé's freshman year of high school was over and done, and Tina couldn't believe how fast time was flying. Her daughter was growing up and it kind of scared her.

"Did you buy him anything for graduation?"

Beyoncé nodded, "Yeah. You already know about the game system but I bought him some more things as well. Hopefully he'll like it."

Tina smiled, "So you really like this boy, huh?"

Beyoncé looked at her mother with a grin on her face. She always found herself blushing as she talked about Shawn. She was happy to be his girlfriend and no one could take that joy away from her.

"Mama, I really do like him. We have a connection that I just can't explain. Thank you for keeping this a secret because I know if daddy finds out about him, he's going to make us breakup and I don't want that to happen. Shawn really makes me happy."

"As long as he keeps that smile on your face, I have no issues with him," Tina said, "I just want you to be careful and be smart with the decisions you make. You have to realize that he's older than you and much more experienced than you. Do not let him influence or pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do."

Beyoncé nodded, "Yes ma'am, I know."

Tina finally finished her hair and Beyoncé continued to get dressed. Beyoncé went with a simple and elegant look. She made sure she didn't have on too much makeup and wasn't revealing too much. She wanted to make a great first impression on Shawn's mother.

She sat in her room listening to music as she waited on Latoya to arrive. Minutes later, Latoya was blowing her horn for Beyoncé to come out.

"Okay mama, I'll see you later." Beyoncé said as she walked in her parents' room to see her mother laying across the bed. Thankfully, Mathew was away so she didn't have to worry about her father.

"Bye baby. Curfew is midnight. Don't be late."

Beyoncé chuckled and kissed her mother's cheek, "I won't be."

Soon as she entered Latoya's car, Latoya stared her down with a smirk. Beyoncé gave her a weird glance before looking herself in the compact mirror.

"Girl, stop looking at me." She said to Latoya as she applied the gloss to her lips.

"I'm just looking at your fine ass! I see you got all cute for your man."

Beyoncé smirked, "Whatever. I'm as simple as simple can get."

The ride to the high school was short, but very quiet. Beyoncé's nerves were getting the best of her the closer they got to the school. She was extremely nervous about meeting Shawn's mother for many reasons. If his mother didn't like her, she just might cry.

As they walked to the high school's gymnasium, Beyoncé called Shawn's sister, Shaunie to see where they were sitting. Once Shaunie said that she would meet her, Beyoncé and Latoya went their separate ways.

"You are so darn cute!" Shaunie said with a smile as she eyed Beyoncé up and down.