Twelve

September 3, 1995

"How you holding up man?" Ty asked Shawn over the phone

"How you holding up man?" Ty asked Shawn over the phone. He had just gotten out of his last class and was now heading back to his dorm to nap before basketball practice. The season was approaching fast and he had been putting in extra work to keep his starting position as a freshman.

"I'm good," Shawn said with a slight smile, showing off the fake gold tooth he had in his mouth, "I'm feeling good, I'm eating good, I'm good!"

Ty laughed, "You must have gotten a taste of some pussy up there on that campus."

Shawn rolled his eyes and unlocked his room door. He threw his bag on the desk and then plopped down on the bed.

"Man, I haven't had a taste of nothing. My life is boring man."

Ty scoffed, "I wonder why."

"How she doing anyway?" Shawn asked. Ty laughed because he knew the question was coming. Him and Shawn were best friends but they never really talked on a day to day basis, but lately Shawn felt the need to call him just to check on one person.

"She seems normal to me," Ty said with a shrug, "I knew you was about to ask me that shit. Why you just won't talk to her yourself?"

"I don't know," Shawn said, "For one, she blocked me so there's no way I can get in touch with her. You're closer to her than I am."

"But I think by now she knows that you're talking to her through me. You know Bey and I aren't that close and all of a sudden, I'm texting and calling her to check on her. It's weird as fuck but you my brother for life and I'll do anything for your dumb ass."

It's been a month since Beyoncé and Shawn broke things off. He haven't heard from her since the day she surprised him by coming to his dorm.

He honestly didn't think she was serious about breaking up with him but after going a week without talking to her, he figured she was serious. Not talking to her for that long really hurt him. He didn't realize how much he loved her until this breakup.

He didn't even think he loved her. He for sure knew he was in love with Beyoncé. It took him a lot of thinking, but he realized that he had fallen in love with her without even having sex.

Her personality and the way she carried herself had definitely won him over. He became more appreciative of that because unlike any other chick, Beyoncé actually cared for him and genuinely loved him. She didn't care where he came from and how much money he did or did not have, she loved him for him.

"Her 16th birthday is tomorrow," Shawn said with a sigh, "I need to see her, or talk to her. You think you'll be able to do that for me?"

Ty shook his head, "Nigga you need to man up. We not in high school no more. If you want her, fight for her! Passing messages through me isn't fighting for her and she sees that which is why she blocked you."