Manchester, England. Part two

When we arrive at a nearby bar, I do a rough headcount, and I am surprised to see that pretty much all the crew, even Paul, are already in attendance. I think I can even see Jeff seated down the other end of the large room. He is wearing a checked shirt which he has left open over a navy blue t-shirt and jeans, and he looks much more casual than he did the last time I saw him. He has his arm slung over the shoulders of a pretty petite brunette who is staring at him adoringly, I guess she must be his other half.

Thankfully the bar is quite spacious, with soft lighting, plush white leather chairs and semi-circular booths. Each holding half a dozen people, all of whom are surrounded by multitudes of drinks. At one end of the tiled dance floor stands a DJ booth and next to it, a couple of screens and microphones have been set up, karaoke... Great.

Not to sound like some snobby cow or anything... but I am unsure there is anything worse than listening to your usually very drunk-at-the-time-friends, or in the case I guess co-workers, warbling their way through an Adele hit. Missing all but one of the high notes and sounding for the most part like they're murdering someone, but looking for all the world like they think they are doing a better job than she ever could. Or doing a corny Elvis impression complete with lip-curl and hip thrust. Urgh. No matter how old they are or how inappropriate it may be. I shudder slightly and promise myself that I will not drink enough tonight to become even remotely tempted to join in.

"Hey there gorgeous" a deep voice proclaims in a London accent as its owner slides up next to Sammy and slips an arm around her slender waist. "And who's your friend?" the man asks, he has kind eyes and spiky brown hair which has way too much product in it I notice, but his smile is friendly and welcoming enough.
"Freddie, this is Maddie, she's our new crew member, and because I am just such a wonderful person, I have taken her firmly under my wing," Sammy tells him.

Hmm so this is the guy Sammy spent the night with, I realise as he leans forward and kisses me lightly on the cheek. I have to swallow a cough that threatens to explode from my throat as I get a whiff of the cheap aftershave he seems to have doused himself in before coming out, someone really needs to tell this guy that less is more.

"Poor you. Good to meet you though Maddie," Freddie says in my ear with a smirk.
"Nice to meet you too," I say politely with a smile.
"Let me get you, girls, a drink," Freddie offers and once he's established what we want, heads over to the bar.
"So that's Freddie, huh?" I round on Sammy
"Yeah yeah, I know. I told you, not usually my type. He's a nice guy at heart though" she replies, and I feel instantly cruel, I shouldn't be making assumptions about people based on their appearance.
"I'm sure he is! He's buying us drinks after all" I say quickly which seems to perk Sammy up a little.

The next couple of hours pass in a blur of new names, handshakes, hugs and polite air kisses. As Sammy parades me around the bar and introduces me to seemingly every single member of the crew. By the time we make our way back over to Freddie, and his little group sat in one of the booths, my feet are absolutely killing me, and I am wishing I'd thought to bring my converse.

"Having a good night, kiddo?" Clark's voice interrupts my thoughts as I slide into the booth and slip off my shoes, rubbing the soles of my aching feet.
"It's great! I'm a little overwhelmed though, there's no possible way I am going to remember everyone's names." I admit.
"Ahh I know right, when I first got here, I was completely lost. You wanna know what I did?" He asks, and I nod in response. "I came up with little nicknames for everyone based on their personal appearance, which would remind me of their names. For example, see that guy over there with the jet black hair? Well, that's Mark. And I remember that cos, Mark's hair is dark. Get it?"
Giggling slightly, I take another sip of my rum and coke before answering, "You're a genius, Clark."