We're looking down on the clouds. The sky, the world.

Harry's Perspective.

Maddie's been so quietly whilst we've been waiting to board. After her little miss-step, which was fucking hilarious, perched on the chair between Jeff and me, barely saying a word. I've been flicking glances over her way and trying to bring her into the conversation when I can. Not wanting to leave her out, but she seems to be off in her own little world somewhere.

Her bright blue eyes are downcast, staring into her lap and her eyebrows are tightly furrowed. Causing two little vertical creases to appear in the soft peach skin between them. I have to clasp my hands together in my lap to stop myself from reaching over and trying to stroke them away. Not appropriate boss-employee behaviour.

I wonder if she's thinking about Novak again. I want to reassure her, tell her about the phone calls I made yesterday and their outcomes, but now is not the time or place, she doesn't want Jeff and the band in on that discussion. Just as I make the decision to pull her to one side and try and get to the bottom of what's bothering her, a tall blonde flight attendant appears to tell us that it's time to board.

As a general rule, I try and get on flights first where possible. It just makes life easier not having to try and make my way down the crowded cabin and feel peoples eyes turn to me or have people jumping up out of their seats to ask for a selfie, blocking the aisles. I jump up quickly and throw my carry on bag over my shoulder, extending a hand to help Maddie up, one stumble is probably enough for today.

"You ok there, Trouble? You've gone kinda erm... green" I ask her as she remains firmly planted in her seat, staring up at me with a look of utter terror on her pretty face.

"Erm. Yes.. no. I .. err... Fuck." she stutters back, her lips barely opening as she whispers the words and I have to hold myself back from smiling, she's adorable.

"Come on, up ya get. "It's just a plane. You've been on planes before," I say lightly, twiddling my outstretched fingers in Maddie's direction, but she doesn't move an inch. Her eyes widen further as she replies, speaking so quickly that I have to take a second to try and work out exactly what she's saying after she's finished.

"Yes. Yes, I have. But for like... three hours at the very most. And even then it was only a two-hour flight, we were just delayed taking off cos of some drunken hen party causing a ruckus... I can't say I've ever enjoyed the experience of floating miles above the ground in what is essentially a big metal Pringles tube with triangles stuck on its sides particularly."

A Pringles tube? Of all the comparisons to make! Of course, just as I am about to respond, the attendant chooses to reappear, seemingly out of nowhere and try and hurry us along. She leans so close to me that I can feel her warm breath tickling my ear lobe as she speaks in a low, seductive tone. I really hope she's not flying with us I think to myself, I thank her quickly but keep my eyes focussed on Maddie, trying to convey some kind of calmness to her.

Whether it's that my look has worked, or that she's just fed up of the attendant hovering over us, I don't know, but something finally stirs Maddie out of her seat. She places her small, undamaged right hand in mine and I automatically clasp my fingers tightly around it, giving her a reassuring squeeze as she rises to her feet and whispers

"I'm sorry in advance if I puke on you" causing me to laugh out loud.

I don't let go of her hand as I escort her on to the plane. As we pass Jeff, who is sitting in the seats directly in front of ours, he glances at our clasped digits before shooting me a knowing look and a cheeky smile.

"Nerves," I mutter to him as I stow my bag away in the overhead bin and take my seat.

As the plane around us begins to fill, I see the odd pair of eyes flicker over to me and a few people whispering to one and other. I turn my body slightly so that my back is to the cabin, trying to avoid making eye contact with anyone.