Between the wars

Pidge was bored.

So bored.

All the team had done for weeks was endlessly travel between galaxies. Sure she was glad to be going home, but without the wormholes, it was turning out to be quite a tedious journey. Even now, when they were resting on a small moon in a distant solar system to refuel for the next day.

Pidge sighed heavily, leaning her head back so it rested on her chair. Looking up, all she saw was the dull grey metal of the cockpit bathed in the green glow from her controls.

But then something else came into view. The underside of a chiselled jaw, which branded the trademark devilish smile of Lance McClain.

"Productive as ever, Pidge." He smiled, shifting his gaze from her controls down into the green Paladins eyes. Pidge rolled her eyes, looking forward again.

"Shut up," She murmured. Lance felt himself smiling at the lack of bite that she usually held in her voice. "What are you doing here anyway, I thought you were helping Hunk," Pidge continued, typing away at her keyboard. Lance leant down on the back of her chair, studying her movements carefully before replying.

"I tried to help him, but apparently cooking isn't my forté." Lance exhaled, fiddling with the top of Pidge's chair. Pidge shuffled in her seat, accutely aware of Lance's gaze fixed upon her. "So I thought I'd come to see how my favourite little gremlin was doing." Lance finished, raising an eyebrow at her.

Pidge's shoulders dropped as she got to her feet. "She's fine, just a little too busy to entertain a sharpshooter right now." She grumbled, shuffling through to the back of her lion. She was almost certain she'd left her headphones in there, surely that's something that would entertain Lance for a while.

After shifting 2 boxes and gently booping a few space caterpillars out of her sight, Pidge caught sight of the familiar green gadget she'd been searching for.

"Will these suffice to keep you e-" Pidge's words clasped to the back of her throat. Lance was draped across the seat of her chair, smirking at her from the other side of the lion. "What are you doing?" Pidge said, bemused. Lance adorned his usual smirk,

"Hanging out. What are you doing?" Lance said, chewing on his bottom lip. He studied Pidge's expression, watching her brows shift from a look of confusion to one of irritation.

"Trying to work." Pidge scowelled, striding over to her seat, not breaking Lance's gaze. The blue paladin didn't even flinch under her icy stare.

Typical.

Pidge exhaled loudly,

"Move," Pidge breathed, rolling her eyes again. Lance beamed to himself,

"Nope. I wanna have some fun. So until you agree to it, I won't move," he said, a stubborn tone very apparent in his voice. Pidge shook her head, placing the headphones down beside her seat.

"Fine, if that's how you wanna play," she said, her voice wavering only slightly. Lance eagerly awaited her submission to his demand and was about to relay his plan for 'fun' when he was rudely interrupted. Pidge had plonked herself carelessly in his lap.

Lance felt his cheeks burning furiously, unaware of just how red they were on the outside. Luckily, Pidge was too busy typing away to even notice his bright flush. Lance held his breath for a moment, a silence falling over them. She couldn't just do this. What was she thinking?!

Then, in Lance's brain, he hatched a plan. If she was going to do this, he'd have to make her move. What didn't Pidge like? Unwarranted physical contact.

Pidge kept her gaze focused on her screen, shuffling a little in Lance's lap. It was a lot comfier than she had first thought it to be. If it hadn't been for the green glow emanating from her controls, the growing blush on her cheeks would have been more apparent.

She ignored it.

Well, that was until she felt Lance's hands snake onto her hips. She may have frozen solid at his touch, but her heart was beating almost twice it's usual rate. Even her breathing was stuttering. She straightened out, her hands stuck to her keyboard.

"L-Lance," she said softly, her voice barely more than a whisper. "What are you-" her lips came to a halt as Lance wrapped his arms around her waist. Although he wouldn't admit it, Lance's heart was also in his throat, and his hands were trembling slightly. Even when he moved them from her hips. A nervous smile had made it's way onto his lips.

"You started it. You wouldn't come have fun," Lance felt the words leave his lips a little to close to Pidge's ear, causing even him to shudder. Pidge's breath caught in her throat as she tried to relax, letting go of the keyboard and leaning back into Lance's grasp.

An unimpressed expression made it's way into Pidge's face as she turned to the blue paladin. Lance returned this with a crooked smile, the flush of his cheeks clearly visible even through the green light. Upon seeing it, a knot formed in Pidge's stomach.

Was he blushing? Lance never blushes.

Maybe her plan to teach him a lesson had worked. But if it had, why was she so reluctant to get out of his grip?

It had just dawned on Lance just how close he was to Pidge now. He could see every imperfection in her face. The way her glasses sat slightly lopsided, the way her right eyebrow was slightly thicker than her left, the abundance of tiny freckles just below her eyes.

Her eyes.

Lance shifted his scanning gaze up from her cheeks up to her eyes, which met his as soon as he did so. How had he not noticed them before? They were quite pretty now that he was really looking at them.

Pidge met Lances gaze with a flustered, weak smile. It was all she could muster with the amount of painful butterflies in her stomach right now. He was actually quite handsome. Not like she hadn't thought he was already. She'd just labelled his as the 'classically handsome' kind of guy that the women swooned over. But now she was close enough to count the tiny freckles on the bridge of his nose.

And she liked it.

An easy silence had fallen over them, as the two Paladins sat staring at one another, dumbfounded over what the appropriate response was for this situation.

Pidge soon discovered it was not to place an arm around Lance's shoulder to support herself.

Lance's shoulders tensened under the weight, but he didn't care. Right now he was near enough to Pidge that he could smell her shampoo. Or Maybe it was her washing powder. Or possibly her natural scent. Whatever it was, it smelt of cinnamon. Lance felt himself chewing his bottom lip, removing his gaze from Pidge's down to her lips.

Had they always looked that soft?

"Lance?"

"Yeah?" He replied instantly, his breath hitching in his lungs as he spoke. He didn't look up from Pidge's lips.

"What's happening?" Pidge sounded just as breathless as him, her voice shuddering in unison with her shoulders. Pidge peered over her glasses at the blue paladin, shifting her weight. She watched as Lance shook his head, ruffling his deep brown hair.

"I-I don't know." Lance replied sheepishly. Slowly, Lance lifted his hand up, hesitating slightly as he neared Pidge's cheek. The raising of her eyebrows signalled that is was okay for him to proceed.

Gently, Lance placed his hand on her cheek, framing her face. His heartbeat stuttered. Her cheek was so soft, and warm. It sent a shiver hurtling through his body. He grazed his thumb lightly against Pidge's cheek, feeling a small smile crack in his lips. Had she always been this pretty?

Lance couldn't stop himself. Before he knew it, he was leaning in towards her, staring breathlessly at her lips. Pidge swallowed the lump in her throat, almost deafened by her heart thundering against her chest.

As she drew closer, she caught her breath. She knew that in the moment their lips met, their friendship would be tainted.

But...

Maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.