Andante Part Two

The hour waiting for the first sun to rise passed quickly, the majority of it spent in the lab. Pidge had insisted on checking on some experiment she'd been working on. Of course Lance hadn't objected to this, he intended on spending as much time with her as he possibly could. Now Pidge occupied the seat at her desk, humming quietly to herself as she ran background checks.

Lance meanwhile, was leant over a table, his head resting on one of his hands whilst he watched her studiously.

Since he'd discovered the picture of the sunset in her room, Lance's mind had been swimming with new thoughts about Pidge.

She had paid attention to him. She always had. Maybe what they had done wasn't so out of the blue after all, especially on Pidge's side of it.

A soft smile fell on his lips, accompanied by a deep red flush on his cheeks. Lance ignored the fluttering at the pit of his stomach as he continued to stare at Pidge, wanting nothing more than to lead her back into bed. After all, he'd always thought she looked quite cute when she was working.

"Two more doboshes and the sun will be rising, we should get going," Pidge turned to look at Lance, her breath seizing in her throat at the sight of his blushing gaze. "Y-you're staring again,"

"I know,"

"Any particular reason why?"

Lance laughed through his nose, fiddling with a spanner on the table. "Not really, you're just nice to look at."

Pidge looked up at him from under her furrowed brows, "That your best work is it?" It was hard for her not to smirk at the Cheshire cat grin that sat on Lance's lips. Lance nodded in reply, pulling himself off of the table and padding over to her side.

"Do you think we'll need to get suited up?" Lance asked cautiously as they walked out into the corridor. Pidge thought for a tick, and then looked back up at the blue paladin, her eyes scanning his face.

"It might be best," she admitted as they walked, "I haven't had a chance to do a complete scan of the surface yet so,"

Lance smiled down at her, noticing their hands gliding past one another as they approached the hangar.

With his smile widening, Lance outstretched his hand. Maybe he could just-

Lance's little finger only just managed to hook around Pidge's, but that was enough for him. A calming warmth spread through him, stemming from the heat on his face.

Surprised by the contact, Pidge flinched, but she didn't move her hand away. Instead, a tiny smile formed on her lips.

Even the tiniest bit of warmth radiating from Lance's finger was enough to calm her malfunctioning heart, it's beating decreasing rapidly. Although it still didn't calm the butterflies.

They continued into the hangar with their pinkies laced together, a tranquil atmosphere settling down over them.

That was until Lance's sense of humour got the better of him once they found their gear.

Pidge gathered her armour together, looking at it hesitantly before picking up her chest plate. The cold metal always had a habit of reminding her they were, in fact, in the middle of a galactic war.

"Taking your clothes off for me again are yo-" Lance's voice dripped with amusement until Pidge's boot collided with the side of his face, forcing an 'oof' out of his stinging jaw. "What was that for?" He chortled, raising an eyebrow at the green paladin.

Pidge stifled a giggle behind her hand, slipping further into her chest plate.

"I won't be doing it again if you carry on," she said with a wicked grin. At this, Lance let out a hearty chuckle, pulling on the final bits of his armour.