Slow dances for Yellow

(((WARNING: POST S8 SO CONTAINS SPOILERS)))

Hunk and Shay's wedding turned out to be one of the most spectacular events that Pidge had even had the privilege of attending.

The ceremony took place in a large hall in Hunk's home town, phenomenally decorated to resemble a Balmeran cave. Blue crystals were strung across the room, flickering gently over draped Balmeran tapestries. The rest of the decor was subtle and rustic, perfectly capturing the joining of Hunk's love of home and Shay's Balmeran culture.

Pidge had gaped in awe at Shay's dress, unable to remove her gaze from the pristine silver outfit worn in Balmeran pairing ceremonies. Naturally, Shay had insisted that she be her maid of honour (once hunk had explained the concept to her).

Pidge was thrilled to accept, and spent the months counting down to the day she could celebrate with her friends. She loved the catch ups more than anything, always enthusiastic about learning of her fellow paladins adventures.

Hunk, she kept in regular contact with. He was often giving her advice on her latest scientific endeavour. Keith and Shiro were always sure to call her at least twice a month to check in on her.

But Lance never seemed to call.

Pidge often found herself sat staring at a screen, waiting for his name to reflect into her eyes. There were several occasions where she had called him to no prevail. By the time the wedding rolled around, she hadn't seen his face in over a year.

Upon seeing the Best man during the ceremony, Pidge has sworn her endocrine system had gone into over drive. It was like being 15 again. Lance made her chest flutter inexplicably and her heart unravelled any hope of rational thinking. She never could have predicted that being stood across from him for 30 minutes would require all of her concentration. In that time, Pidge became overwhelmed with a sense of guilt. Lance still wouldn't talk to her.

Had she done something wrong?

Now, the Maid of honour found herself sat alone at a table. The reception was decorated as intricately as the ceremony, even having tiny Balmeran crystals acting as a centre piece on each table. Pidge huffed aloud, fiddling with crystal in front of her. Her head rested in her free hand, eyes scanning the room studiously.

Keith was stood with his mother and several other coalition leaders. In the beginning, Pidge had teased him relentlessly for his ponytail, but now it was starting to grow on her. A light chuckle left her lungs as Pidge's gaze shifted across to Shiro. He was chatting with his husband and her father, clearly about something extremely amusing. Hunk and Shay were currently in the middle of photographs with Shay's family, a vast number of Balmerans gathered around the young couple.

Finally, Pidge let her eyes wander across to the Best man, who like her, was sat alone on a neighbouring table. He had a forlorn look inching it's way across his face. A face still branded with Altean markings. His hands clasped a glass, the contents of which she suspected was not a soft drink.

Pidge felt her head tilt to one side as she continued to study him. The tie of his suit was loose, and his jacket was flung gently over the back of his chair. His eyes were focused on his drink, hooded eyelids adding to his somber expression. Pidge felt the urge to sit with him sneak up on her, and with every sip of her drink, it became a more feasible idea. She was desparate to hear his voice.

"So how long have you been in love with him?"

A voice flooded Pidge's brain, startling her so much that she had to steady herself on her seat. Her head whipped around to the source of the sound. Pidge's eyes met the smiling face of Lance's sister, Rachel.