Aspiring artist

"Listen to me Lance! This thing is a natural born killer and you... and... what are you doing?"

"Drawing Kalternecker."

"We're about to get ripped to shreds and you're drawing Kalternecker?!" Pidge muttered through gritted teeth. Lance quirked an eyebrow, pointing his pencil at her mouth.

"Well for your information, drawing calms me down and helps me concentrate. Plus I have time to kill until you finished thinking up a plan to get us out of here."

Pidge scrunched up her fists, digging her nails into the palm of her hands so hard, she could feel it through her gloves. Lance was slowly becoming insufferable. They'd only been stuck on the planet for around 4 vargas, but that was more than enough.

In that time, they had already been attacked 5 times, each one by a different, reptile resembling inhabitant of the bleak planet. The one that now perused them was around 15 metres long, stocky and covered and a mossy green down. At the time of seeing it, Pidge had mistaken it for a dinosaur she'd once seen in a museum, the name of which now escaped her. Although right now she was a tad more focused on staying out of it's digestive system.

The creature snorted loudly, it's knife like claws scraping against the rock as it tried to get into the crevice the Paladins had wedged themselves into. It's snout was pressed into the small gap, it's lips curling back to reveal more than 30 serrated teeth.

Pidge shuffled uncomfortably, her gut twisting and driving bile to the back of her throat. Her hair was plastered to her face in several places, sweat making her black body suit cling to her like a second skin. Nothing she wasn't used to... just with added chance of being eaten alive. Terribly violent thoughts streamed through her mind, one of which stood out more than she'd like it to.

This is it. This is how I'm going to die. Ripped apart by a dinosaur with my last sight being a shitty drawing of a cow... and drawn by Lance of all people.

Pidge grunted indignantly as she reajusted herself in the small cave. Lance glanced across at her, his brow and cheeks dotted with mud much like his suit. There was a slight shean to his face, this Pidge put down to the way they had scrambled for cover not 5 doboshes ago.

They blinked at one another in the dark, their eyes glistening in the dim light emitted by Pidge's communicator.

"Do you not like my drawing?" Lance smirked, holding the paper towards the light. Pidge cocked her head to one side. Considering he'd done it in the dark, the shape was moderately cow like. A laugh forced it's way out of Pidge's nose, cutting the tension with ease.

"It's good, although Kalternecker doesn't have that many patches on her face." Pidge added factually, pressing her finger onto the crumpled paper. Lance brushed her comment away with his hand, tapping the pencil against his lip.

"Yeah she does. I've spent enough time with our adopted child to know what she looks like." He said nonchalantly, his cheeks glowing as he smirked across at the green paladin. Pidge raised her eyebrows playfully, thanking any form of deity that the dark was hiding her flushed cheeks.

"Our adopted child?" She said slowly. Lance's mouth twitched, the only indication of his quickened pulse.

"Well... yeah. We bought her together remember?" His smile was so subtly sincere that it drowned out the noise of the snarling beast just a metre or so behind her. Pidge felt her heart flutter, causing her to instinctively place a hand on her chest. This wasn't a new sensation, but it still caught her off guard every time it happened.

Especially around Lance.

"Yeah, I guess so." Pidge said breathlessly. The sound of Lance saying "our child" sat easily on her chest - and though she'd never admit it - she rather liked the sound of it.